Government Grants Officer
For more than 40 years, Bet Tzedek has set the standard for innovation and excellence in poverty law. Bet Tzedek is one of Los Angeles County’s premier nonprofit legal aid organizations and provides free legal assistance to more than 50,000 people annually. The Government Grants Officer will join Bet Tzedek’s dynamic Development team, which raises over 90% of the agency’s $13M annual budget. The position works closely with program, finance, and executive staff to strategically develop and manage Bet Tzedek’s growing government grants portfolio.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a portfolio of government funding partners (city, state, and federal agencies), serving as a key liaison between Bet Tzedek and granting agency staff.
- Work with program, grants, and finance staff, and senior leadership to conceptualize, prepare, and submit responsive and competitive proposals, reports, budgets, and other communications materials to government funders.
- Review all grant contracts with program staff and establish internal systems to check and maintain compliance with all provisions.
- Work with Data Manager and finance team to track grant performance metrics and qualified expenditures, provide periodic internal progress reports, and assist with audits.
- Manage external reporting deadlines and submit narrative, data, and financial reports to government funders.
- Coordinate site visits from funding partners as
- Research and cultivate new relationships with prospective government funding partners.
- Identify and evaluate public funding opportunities, review RFAs and provide strategic guidance to programs on alignment/fit, eligibility, and competitiveness.
- Effectively represent the agency to external parties through both written and oral communications and at external events and programs as needed.
- Actively contribute to the development of grants team’s best practices and procedures, cultivation strategies, and grant management tools.
Qualifications & Competencies
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission of equal justice for all and Bet Tzedek’s core values of leadership, community-based advocacy, and innovation (required).
- Demonstrated commitment to applying principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in performance of job duties (required).
- Strategic thinker, able to conceptualize, lead and execute complex projects and effectively convey their impact to various audiences (required).
- Knowledge of priorities, trends, and requirements in the government funding arena, especially within Los Angeles County and California.
- Knowledge of legal services or human services preferred; ability to quickly grasp and translate complex subject matter (required).
- Exceptional project management, organizational, and time management skills; must be highly detail oriented (required).
- Experience working in a nonprofit institution of comparable complexity and scale; experience working as part of a team to successfully manage multiple projects with competing timelines (preferred).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and associated strategic and analytic skills (required).
- Strong computer literacy, including Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) as well as Raiser’s Edge or similar donor management databases, and search engines (required).
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills; able to interact professionally and communicate effectively with a diverse population of stakeholders, colleagues, and potential or current funders (required).
- Experience critically reviewing budgets and financial information (required).
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed (required).
Education & Training
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent training required, minimum of 5 years of grant writing and reporting experience (preferred).
- Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated success securing and managing government grants required, preferably as part of a nonprofit fundraising team.
How to Apply:
E-mail a cover letter and a resume to bettzedek.B7.B19@applynow.io subject line: “GOVERNMENT GRANTS OFFICER.” Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
Note: To best serve our communities, Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.