Eviction Defense Collaborative (EDC) is the only legal services organization in San Francisco solely focused on eviction prevention. EDC’s goal is to prevent displacement, stabilize communities, and ensure housing equity in San Francisco. Formed in 1996 as the primary clearinghouse for tenants filing initial responses to unlawful detainer lawsuits (UD), EDC has developed an effective,
client-centered, trauma-informed, and culturally sensitive triage clinic model to process the high volume of clients through our daily, open door clinic model. We offer legal services in response to an eviction, tenant rights education, rental assistance, and advocacy for clients residing in city shelters, all under one organizational umbrella. EDC prides itself on being the safety net for San Francisco tenants, serving tenants regardless of income, immigration status, or neighborhood.
The Finance Associate is an integral part of the admin team and EDC’s Right to Counsel services. The Finance Associate is responsible for providing finance-related administrative support for the successful oversight and implementation of San Francisco Tenant Right to Counsel. A significant portion of the Finance Associates’ time will be spent providing bookkeeper support to the Finance
Manager. Because we strive to be barrier-free and client-centered, the position requires individuals who truly enjoy working with people, have the skills and capacity to respond in an empathetic and respectful way to clients who are often in crisis, and can work effectively in a collegial and fast paced environment.
At present, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and until further notice, EDC is operating in a hybrid fashion, with some remote work and some onsite work. This role will be onsite and not a remote position. EDC’s In Office COVID-19 Safety Plan adheres to the CDC’s health and safety guidelines and the federal OSHA requirements for workplace safety.
*Proof of vaccination required*
First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share EDC’s mission and vision of social justice and be able to manage stressful situations with empathy and calm. Below are additional qualifications:
● High levels of professional effectiveness, collaboration, integrity, optimism, and high energy.
● Comfort with cloud technology, proficient to intermediate skills with Microsoft Office and
Google Suite, and other common computer programs; experience with Salesforce or related
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Experience with administration and office management.
● Flexible and adaptive work style with the ability to thrive in a growing, entrepreneurial,
● QuickBooks Experience (1 year)
● Excel proficiency
● Excellent attention to detail and organization
● Payroll experience (preferred)
● Nonprofit accounting experience (preferred)
● Able to work on several projects simultaneously, and handle a high volume of activity.
● Ability to work under deadlines (excellent time management skills).
● Ability to work collaboratively, but with the capacity to work independently.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Second-level review of disbursements including reimbursements, invoices and credit card
bills, entry of receipts & attribution of expenses across proper accounts and channels.
● Process weekly bank deposits.
● Issuing checks for bill payments, client payments, staff reimbursements, etc.
● Assist with monthly invoices for City funders and partnered agencies.
● Assist with semimonthly payroll, reconcile PTO balances, and benefit deductions.
● Assist with annual Audit and budget creation.
● Review year-end personnel and vendor tax fillings.
● Process and oversee funds received by EDC, including cash, money orders, cashier’s checks,
● Other finance-related tasks as required.
Your salary will depend on years of experience. Starting salary for the position is $55,000+. This is a
non-exempt, full-time position (Monday –Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm).
We offer a highly competitive benefits package which includes:
100% Employer paid medical (base plan), dental, vision, LTD & STD coverage. You will also qualify for an employer contributed 401(k) account, one hour paid lunch daily, commuter benefits, bike reimbursements, and a FSA dependent care account. In year one, you will be entitled to 15 days of paid vacation, 12 paid sick days and 14 paid holidays. EDC will also provide employees with a new and modern office space.
Due to COVID, our office is functioning in a hybrid model.. However, the position may require some on site work at the EDC offices in San Francisco. The employee is expected to be in the office (or available while working remote) during normal business hours and to communicate with staff regarding whereabouts when elsewhere for meetings or other obligations. Additionally, the employee is expected to be reachable by email, phone and video conference as needed during normal business hours, Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm.
The position requires working with short and long-term deadlines. It also requires working with and on behalf of low-income clients, many of whom are people of color, and be able to work effectively with clients impacted by trauma (emotional, mental, and physical). Some evening and weekend work may be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Prolonged sitting/standing.
● Extensive typing/data entry.
● Periodic lifting/carrying/transporting of materials in excess of 40 lbs.
● Close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, text, and figures.
● Prolonged computer use.
Email your resume and cover letter as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Finance Associate” in the subject line. We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
The employee will not supervise any employees.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
EDC is committed to continually building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We do so because it is the right thing to do, and because we know it makes our work stronger and more effective. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. EDC understands and values a workplace with staff from diverse educational backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, races, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, ages, languages spoken, veteran’s status, skin color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The Eviction Defense Collaborative believes that all persons are entitled to equal
employment opportunity and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.