Public Counsel is the largest pro bono public interest law firm in the country. Founded in 1970, it is dedicated to advancing equal justice under law and addressing economic, racial, and other inequities by delivering free legal and social services to the most vulnerable members of our community. Public Counsel operates eight legal projects: Children’s Rights, Community Development, Consumer Rights & Economic Justice, Homelessness Prevention, Immigrants’ Rights, Veterans’ Rights, the Audrey Irmas Project for Women & Girls’ Rights, and our impact litigation project, Opportunity Under Law. Public Counsel has a full-time staff of over 130. We seek to have a racially inclusive staff.
Now in its 50th year of operations, Public Counsel seeks a mission-driven Finance Associate with previous nonprofit accounting experience. Reporting to the Vice President, Finance/Chief Financial Officer, the Finance Associate will join the Finance Team in the day-to-day financial operations of a $16 million budget, including planning, budgeting, accounting and reporting on a diversified funding stream, consisting of donations, private grants, government contracts, attorney fees, and investments.
ESSENTIAL JOB SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Finance Associate will provide accounting support to all financial areas.
- Share responsibility for Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
- Enter invoices and check requests into the Financial Edge accounting system.
- Code credit card expense transactions and enter into Financial Edge AP module.
- Pay online invoices.
- Process expense reimbursements through the Paylocity payroll system and confirm coding.
- Assist with timesheets for payroll processing.
- Assist with timesheets and journal entries for Program Service Fee invoices.
- Create monthly allocation spreadsheet and journal entries.
- Develop reports and maintain files and folders in NetDocs.
- Assist with journal entries, account reconciliations, and process documentation.
- Assist with the month-end and year-end closings.
- Assist with the annual budget process.
- Assist with audits, audit schedules, statements, and information returns.
- Special projects and additional duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience preferred.
- Minimum 2-3 years of accounting experience.
- Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivables experience preferred.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, grants, and GAAP.
- Nonprofit experience with an organization having a budget of at least $10 million preferred.
- Excellent computer skills in accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel.
- Financial Edge and Paylocity experience highly preferred.
- Analytical ability to develop and implement improvements and recommendations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal competencies to work well with a diversity of people.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Must have the highest integrity and exceptional ethics.
START DATE AND COMPENSATION
- Immediate full-time, non-exempt position, 37.5 hours per week.
- Salary: $25.65 per hour.
- This position is part of a special program created using designated grant funds. Please note that this position is contingent on ongoing funding and/or Finance needs.
- Public Counsel offers a competitive benefits including: (1) medical, dental, and vision coverage with HMO and PPO options, (2) the option to enroll in a Flexible Spending Account, (3) a 403(b) retirement plan with elective contribution and an employer contribution after a year of employment, and (4) employer-paid life insurance and disability plans.
- Public Counsel follows all emergency state and local orders arising from the current COVID-19 crisis. Currently all staff must work remotely from their homes. Public Counsel will assess when the physical office will reopen in a manner consistent with public health and state emergency orders.
Continuous until position is filled.
Please send a cover letter and resume with a subject line reading “Finance Associate,” to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
Public Counsel is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, gender identity or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
All qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.