POSITION: Family Law Supervising Attorney Position
SUPERVISOR: Directing Attorney
WAGE RANGE: Depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt Employee
LOCATION: CLA SoCal Office(s)
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing free civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County, and strives to meet the needs of its service community. CLA SoCal seeks an experienced, energetic, motivated, personable and effective leader to supervise the Family Law Unit (visit www.communitylegalsocal.org for more information about us). This is a new position at CLA SoCal and we seek an individual who wants to take the opportunity to advance our community-driven work in family-related rights and create a dynamic team environment for zealous advocacy.
● Active Bar membership in California;
● Minimum five years of legal experience;
● Experience in family law matters before State Court;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Legal Work Experience
● Knowledge of family law that affects victims of crime;
● Litigation experience in State Court, preferably in family law proceedings;
● Handle client interviews, negotiation, settlement, trial and appeal of cases in State Courts;
● Experience providing legal representation, consultation, advocacy and education to victims of domestic and family violence;
● Proficiency in dealing with people empathetically and effectively, while providing excellent legal services;
● Prior commitment to serving low income individuals, and survivors of domestic violence;
● Familiarity with Immigration Law preferred;
● Bilingual preferred, Bilingual in Spanish/Vietnamese is a plus.
● Experience managing, teaching and mentoring staff within a unit;
● Familiarity with Legal Services Corporation (LSC) rules and regulations;
● Demonstrate an ability to create and maintain community partnerships;
● Ability to build infrastructure for staff to effectively produce high-level legal services; and,
● Manage multiple grants and deliverables within the unit.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
● Expectation of supervising and working in Orange County and our Southeast offices but flexibility to office in either location;
● Provide direct legal services to victims of domestic violence, trafficking and other serious crimes in family law matters;
● Lead case review sessions and work collaboratively with staff to develop case strategies, best practices,
unit protocols, and grant billing;
● Provide guidance to staff on case work and staff development, including provide consistent feedback;
● Identify significant legal needs and issues for victims and survivors of domestic violence in the areas of
family law and develop plans, including litigation and advocacy, to address those needs;
● Work closely with Immigration Unit and Supervisor for clients, who overlap both units;
● Outreach to low-income communities where individuals are comfortable seeking assistance;
● Conduct trainings and outreach to community-based organizations and community groups;
● Develop and coordinate legal clinics with volunteers and other community collaboratives;
● Coordinate with other assistance organizations in the area by providing referrals and implementing
partner meetings to assure appropriate and efficient coverage of services;
● Flexibility to work evenings and weekends to attend community events, outreach and engagement, hold and assist with legal clinics;
● Ensure grant deliverables are met under various funding grants and to prepare all necessary narratives
and reports for grant funding; and
● In conjunction with the Directing Attorney and Director of Pro Bono, recruit, train, and supervise
volunteer attorneys and law students.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes medical/dental, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance; and long-term disability policies. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume, cover letter and two writing samples to Jessica Flowers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer