POSITION: Disaster Relief Legal Caseworker
Reports to: Disaster Relief Attorney, Supervising Attorney
Status: 1.00 FTE; Non-Exempt
Salary: $20.00 per hour plus benefits
Disaster Relief Program: After the devastating wildfires in Sonoma County, Legal Aid of Sonoma County launched a Disaster Relief program to assist fire survivors with a range of legal needs related to the fires. These issues include insurance, FEMA benefits, housing, and employment issues. Legal Aid provides both educational clinics, pro bono clinics, and individual representation to fire survivors through this program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Disaster Relief Attorney with preparation of legal documents, including pleadings, motions and correspondence.
- Schedule meetings with clients; maintain timely correspondence with clients.
- Schedule ongoing community outreach events and informational clinics.
- Gather and analyze research data, such as statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes, and documents.
- Assist attorney in collecting information such as employment, medical, and other records.
- Conduct initial client triage and interviews.
- Set up case files and enter new client cases into LASC’s client database (Pika). Maintain up-to-date case notes, time reporting and client demographic data in Pika. Follow legal case protocols and maintain organized case files.
- Complete specialized projects such as data compilation:
◦ Enter data into computers for use in analyses and reports.
◦ Compile statistics from source materials, such as production records
◦ Compile spreadsheets that describe and interpret data
- Close completed cases in Pika and enter appropriate legal outcomes.
- Administrative and other tasks as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills including ability to relate to diverse client and attorney population via telephone and in person.
- Ability to work with and sensitivity towards individuals who have experienced extreme loss and trauma.
- Excellent organizational and case management skills.
- Working knowledge of computer applications, including Microsoft Office and database programs.
- Must be flexible, work well under pressure, with ability to organize and prioritize work effectively with great attention to detail, including timely case management and a commitment to accurate and on time data and time keeping reporting.
- Valid CA Driver’s License and proof of current automobile insurance required.
- Bilingual in Spanish strongly preferred.
- Previous Legal Services experience.
- Previous experience working in a law office or working with clients in a non-profit organization.
BENEFITS: Legal Aid of Sonoma County provides a dynamic and supportive work environment; and an excellent benefit package after the completion of an initial 90-day introductory period. Benefits include eligibility for company paid health insurance or cash-in-lieu; and very generous paid vacation/sick/holiday leave policies.
Note all employment at LASC is ‘at will’, completion of the introductory period does not alter this.
To APPLY, please email a resume and cover letter to: Ronit Rubinoff, Executive Director