Disaster Legal Services Attorney (Temporary)
The Disaster Legal Assistance Collaborative of Northern California (DLAC Nor Cal) offers free legal services to those impacted by disasters throughout Northern California (Monterey and north). DLAC Nor Cal is staffed by the Alameda County Bar Association (ACBA) and Legal Access Alameda (Legal Access). This position is a non-exempt, full-time position responsible for coordinating the provision of pro bono legal services, as well as providing them directly on occasion. At the moment, the position is envisioned as temporary, for 6 months, though there is the possibility of extending the time depending on funding.
This position is anticipated to be fully remote. There may be a need for in-person services, but this person may either contribute to those personally, or coordinate volunteers to do so. No staff member will be required to perform in-person services with which they are not comfortable due to Covid-19.
Pro Bono Coordination
- Recruit, train, support, and encourage pro bono attorneys and other volunteers in disaster-related work.
- Work with other disaster staff to keep online resources updated and useful for volunteers.
- Work with other disaster staff to track and monitor pro bono sign ups and activity.
- Work with regional partners to deploy volunteers where they are needed, while being mindful of local self-determination issues.
- Help design and implement clinics and presence at governmental/nonprofit resource sites to provide legal services as needed, in person or remotely.
Provision of Legal Services
- Undergo (online) training on disaster and Covid-related legal services.
- Step in to provide legal services online and on the hotline as needed, when volunteers are not sufficient. Provide services in person as needed and as the person feels comfortable.
Community Outreach and Education
- Help design, conduct and coordinate informational legal clinics, and community education presentations, online and in person, to help disaster survivors know their legal rights.
- Collaborate with partner agencies to reach out to disaster survivors.
- Attend and participate in meetings of regional and statewide disaster legal services groups.
- Staff and coordinate working groups of DLAC Nor Cal.
- Keep open and regular lines of communication with partner agencies, in order to ensure a smooth and non-duplicative continuum of service.
- Attend regular staff meetings for disaster legal services project, Legal Access Alameda, and the Alameda County Bar.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bar Admission in California (must be current and in good standing)
- Commitment to social justice and access to justice for low-income and disadvantaged communities.
- Ability to work with volunteers, exercise sound judgment, take initiative on projects, and juggle multiple activities.
- Sense of humor.
No particular substantive legal experience required.
Ability to converse in Spanish or Chinese a plus.
Salary and benefits: The position will pay $58,000/year, plus medical, dental, and vision benefits.
We will be hiring for this position as soon as possible. Please submit resume and cover letter to Tiela Chalmers: email@example.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.