POSITION: Director of Finance
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
WAGE RANGE: Depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full time, Exempt
LOCATION: Various Offices
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County. Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective Director of Finance to manage the financial functions of the organization. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Finance will assume a strategic and operational role in the overall management of Accounting and Finance functions of CLA SoCal.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures;
- Execute all finance and accounting operations including but not limited to leading the annual budgeting process, monthly and quarterly projection process, restricted grant management and reporting, expense tracking, cash management, budget to actual board reporting and the annual audit;
- Develop the annual budget along with the Executive Director and other Senior Management staff for presentation and approval by the Board of Directors;
- Oversee the preparation of monthly consolidated financial statements as well as by funding source and location. Analyze any variance and prepare communications to distribute to appropriate Senior Management staff;
- Oversee monthly, quarterly and annual funding source financial reports ensuring accuracy and timeliness;
- Prepare and present financial reports to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors and coordinate presentation of reports to the full Board;
- Overseen all financing arrangements of CLA SoCal. Ensure adequate bidding procedures for major purchases. Oversee vendor relationships;
- Evaluate current accounting software, policies and procedures and propose any changes identified to improve financial reporting to each along with an implementation plan;
- Coordinate all financial audits, including monitoring visits from funding sources and annual financial audit;
- Ensure financial compliance requirements with all funding sources;
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisors, and filing financial reports. Advises management of actions and potential risks;
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls;
- Hires, trains, develops and appraises staff effectively. Takes corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy. Consults with Human Resources as appropriate;
- Keeps up-to-date on information and technology affecting functional area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance;
- Completion of other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Business, Accounting or related field, MBA preferred;
- Relevant CPA certification and experience working through audits;
- 5 or more years of board experience in a multi-funded not for profit organization. At least 2-3 years of supervisory experience. Legal services experience a plus;
- Demonstrated leadership and team management;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of current and evolving trends and best practices in not for profit accounting;
- Experience with accounting software, advanced Excel and MIP preferred;
- Experience in evaluation of financial systems, policies and procedures
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to effectively prioritize among competing tasks while maintaining attention to detail;
- Exceptional interpersonal and administrative skills, a positive attitude and work style, and an ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment; and;
- Values diversity of thought, backgrounds and perspectives;
- The ideal candidates will have exceptional fiscal and process management skills, and knowledge of non-profit and fund accounting.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA.
Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Jessica Flowers at email@example.com. Position open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.