POSITION: Director of Development
About Root & Rebound and the Director of Development Position:
Root & Rebound (R&R) works to restore and protect the rights, dignity, and opportunities of formerly
incarcerated people and people affected by the criminal justice system. Our mission is to transfer
power and information from the policy and legal communities to the people most impacted by the
criminal justice system through public education, direct legal services, and policy advocacy, so that
the law serves, rather than harms, low-income communities and communities of color in the United
The web of collateral consequences is pervasive and complex, and Root & Rebound has a holistic
approach to dismantle the two-tiered system of injustice in this country, working in rural and urban
communities, and across all areas of life, including housing, employment and occupational licensing,
family reunification, parole and probation advocacy, court debt, record expungement, and more.
Learn more at www.rootandrebound.org.
Root & Rebound seeks a driven, experienced, and entrepreneurial Director of Development to join our senior management team. Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with senior leadership, the ideal candidate will outline a clear vision for the Development Department’s team that includes fundraising goals, execution strategies, and people management practices. The Director of Development will cultivate foundation and corporate donor relationships, build and maintain individual donor relationships, manage and improve the grant writing and reporting process, and spearhead the annual benefit and other fundraising events.
Root & Rebound seeks a leader, team player, strong communicator, and relationship builder, with a
passion for social justice, who can build upon and strengthen the Development Department of a
fast-paced and evolving organization.
Development at Root & Rebound:
Root & Rebound’s annual budget is primarily supported by grants from private foundations, with
significant contributions from government grants, individual donors, earned revenue, and our
annual benefit. In order for Root & Rebound to scale to meet the need for its programs and services
across the state of California and nationally, it is essential to the organization’s direction that our
funding stream continues to grow significantly. Root & Rebound’s development goals include a
substantial increase in unrestricted contributions in subsequent years, growth in foundation grants,
and creation of a high-functioning development operation. With our bold ambitions and unique
theory of change, this is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to help Root & Rebound
sustain and scale its programs across California and nationwide.
The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director and work closely with Root &
Rebound’s executive team, management, and Board. Overall core responsibilities include:
● Working collaboratively with the Executive Director, establish annual fundraising goals for
institutional support, government grants, corporate donors, and individual giving, and
develop strategies to execute and achieve these goals.
● Oversee solicitation and stewardship of foundation and corporate donors, focusing
particularly on ensuring sufficient support for direct services and general operations. This
includes: securing, preparing for, and proactively following up on foundation cultivation
meetings; leading foundation correspondence, solicitations, proposals, supporting materials,
● In collaboration with Executive and Deputy Directors, build and strengthen relationships with
all donor partners through regular correspondence, meetings, events, and proactive
strategies to get new donors on board and excited about R&R’s work.
● In collaboration with Executive Director and Development Associate, build upon and improve
R&R’s communications and donor-facing language including boilerplate, concept notes,
grants, LOIs, strategic planning documents, impact statements, annual appeals, social media
● In collaboration with Development Associate and Development Assistant, build and improve
systems for organizing and utilizing all information about past, current, and prospective
grants and individual donors, tracking funder and donor relationships, and overseeing/
building team calendars, work plans, at-a-glance records, and relationship
● Manage and improve systems to ensure accurate records and timely communication with
institutional and individual donors.
● Collaborate with Root & Rebound’s programs team to ensure that grants are strongly based
in the strategies and goals of the team, that grant outcomes and milestones are
collaboratively reached and met, and that all reports are completed on time.
● In collaboration with Executive Director, oversee planning and implementation of special
events, along with the Development team and contacted events staff.
● Oversee design, content, widespread distribution, related communications, and timeliness of
annual holiday appeal to individual donors.
● In collaboration with Executive Director, support the Board of Directors in all fundraising
efforts and work closely with board committees to set goals and direction for broadening
funding, resources, and support.
● Manage and coach a team (currently four staff members), including a Development
Associate, Administrative & Development Assistant, Americorps VISTA Data & Technology
Coordinator, and Americorps VISTA Development & Communications Coordinator. Lead,
manage and coach top talent, including:
- Develop annual performance dashboards and hold weekly check-ins with each direct
report; Hire/onboard new direct reports; Lead bi-weekly Development Team Meetings;
and Conduct two performance reviews for each direct report annually.
- Develop annual performance dashboards and hold weekly check-ins with each direct
● Foster and maintain strong relationships with R&R organizational partners, including their
Directors and staff, and ensure clear and regular communications with these partners,
particularly those with which R&R engages in collaborative fundraising efforts.
Root & Rebound seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
● A natural, strong communicator and relationship-builder who enjoys working on a
team and building partnerships with others;
● A passion for and demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial justice, and criminal
● A strategic thinker who can proactively plug team members into work where needed, and
establish touch points with their team to make sure work is accomplished successfully with
experience in people management, delegating and oversight;
● A leader who is creative, resourceful, and resilient in the face of challenges;
● A lifelong learner, eager to try new ways of doing things;
● A highly organized project manager, capable of prioritizing concurrent projects and
deadlines and balancing micro and macro tasks of a given week and day;
● Knowledge of and experience working with fundraising databases a plus–if not, must have
willingness to learn and master;
● Strong understanding of nonprofit organizational finances, operating budgets, and growth
needs in terms of growing incoming resources and funds;
● Ability to effectively work with contractors external to R&R, including grant-writing support
and event staff support;
● Excellent writing and verbal skills;
● Some grant writing and fundraising experience is preferred, however candidates with strong
skills and transferable experiences will be considered; and
● Willing to/excited about travel.
Compensation & Benefits: This position will begin as a full-time position with a competitive salary
commensurate with experience, plus employment benefits that include medical, vision, and dental
care, and 15 days PTO plus additional paid week for holiday closures (total 4 weeks off per year).
How to Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, two short writing samples, and at least three
references with contact information in an email to Katherine Katcher (Executive Director) at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis.
Resumes without a cover letter, writing samples, and references will not be reviewed. Please use
Director of Development in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for
interviews will be contacted.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be
considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed,
national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior
record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status.
Root & Rebound values diverse experiences, including with regard to educational
background and justice system involvement. People with records are encouraged to apply.
We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Root & Rebound, visit our website at www.rootandrebound.org