POSITION: Director of Development
Reports to: Founder and Executive Director
About Root & Rebound and the Director of Development Position:
Root & Rebound (R&R), a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, California, works to restore and protect the rights, dignity, and opportunities of formerly incarcerated people and people affected by the criminal justice system. Our mission is to transfer power and information from the policy and legal communities to the people most impacted by the criminal justice system through public education, direct legal services, and policy advocacy, so that the law serves, rather than harms, low-income communities and communities of color in the United States.
The web of collateral consequences is pervasive and complex, and Root & Rebound has a holistic approach to dismantle the two-tiered system of injustice in this country, working in rural and urban communities, and across all areas of life, including housing, employment and occupational licensing, family reunification, parole and probation advocacy, court debt, record expungement, and more. Learn more at www.rootandrebound.org.
Root & Rebound seeks a driven, experienced, and entrepreneurial Director of Development to join our senior management team. Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with senior leadership and support staff, the ideal candidate will outline a clear vision for the Development Department’s team that includes fundraising goals, execution strategies, and people management practices. The Director of Development will cultivate foundation and corporate donor relationships, support the Executive Director to build and maintain individual donor relationships, manage and improve the grant writing and reporting process, and spearhead the annual benefit and other fundraising events.
Root & Rebound seeks a leader, team player, strong communicator, and relationship builder, with a passion for social justice, who can build upon and strengthen the Development Department of a fast-paced and evolving organization.
The Director of Development will supervise a Development Associate, Administrative & Development Assistant, and two AmeriCorps VISTA volunteers.
Development at Root & Rebound:
Root & Rebound’s annual budget is primarily supported by grants from private foundations, with significant contributions from government grants, individual donors, earned revenue, and our annual benefit. In order for Root & Rebound to scale to meet the need for its programs and services across the state of California and nationally, it is essential that our funding stream continues to grow significantly. Root & Rebound’s development goals include a substantial increase in unrestricted contributions, growth in foundation grants, and creation of a high- functioning development operation. With our bold ambitions and unique theory of change, this is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to help Root & Rebound sustain and scale its programs across California and nationwide.
The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director and work closely with Root & Rebound’s executive team, management, and Board. Overall core responsibilities include:
- Working collaboratively with the Executive Director, establish annual fundraising goals for institutional support, government grants, corporate donors, and individual giving, and develop strategies to execute and achieve these goals.
- Oversee solicitation and stewardship of foundation and corporate donors. This includes: securing, preparing for, and proactively following up on foundation cultivation meetings; leading foundation correspondence, solicitations, proposals, supporting materials, and reports.
- In collaboration with Executive Director and Development Associate, build upon and improve R&R’s communications and donor-facing language including boilerplate, concept notes, grants, LOIs, strategic planning documents, impact statements, annual appeals, social media asks, etc.
- In collaboration with Development Associate and Development Assistant, build and improve systems for organizing and utilizing all information about past, current, and prospective grants and individual donors, tracking funder and donor relationships, and overseeing/ building team calendars, work plans, at-a-glance records, and relationship tracking/management tools. Manage and improve systems to ensure accurate records and timely communication.
- In collaboration with Executive Director, oversee planning and implementation of individual donor initiatives and special events.
- Foster and maintain strong relationships with R&R organizational partners, including their directors and staff, and ensure clear and regular communications with these partners, particularly those with which R&R engages in collaborative fundraising efforts.
- Manage and coach development team, including a Development Associate, Administrative & Development Assistant, AmeriCorps VISTA Data & Technology Coordinator, and AmeriCorps VISTA Development & Communications Coordinator.
Root & Rebound seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- A passion for Root & Rebound’s mission and demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial justice, and criminal justice issues;
- Five years minimum of nonprofit experience with a track record of success. Some grant-writing and fundraising experience is preferred;
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
- A highly organized project manager, capable of prioritizing concurrent projects and deadlines and balancing micro and macro tasks of a given week and day;
- A natural, strong communicator and relationship-builder who enjoys working on a team and building partnerships with others;
- Knowledge of and experience working with fundraising databases a plus
- Strong understanding of nonprofit organizational finances and budgets
- A leader who is creative, resourceful, and resilient in the face of challenges;
- A lifelong learner, eager to try new ways of doing things.
Compensation & Benefits: This position is full-time with a salary range of $80k-95k depending on experience, plus employment benefits that include medical, vision, dental care, and paid time off.
How to Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, two short writing samples in an email to Katherine Katcher (Executive Director) at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis. Resumes without a cover letter and writing samples will not be reviewed. Please use Director of Development in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status.
Root & Rebound values diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system involvement. People with records are encouraged to apply. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Root & Rebound, visit our website at www.rootandrebound.org