Development Officer (Full-Time, Exempt)
Agency Description: Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Los Angeles, was established in 1983 with broad-based support and has become the leading organization in the region dedicated to providing the diverse Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AAHNPI) community with civil rights advocacy and multilingual, culturally-sensitive legal services and education. Advancing Justice – LA seeks to serve the most vulnerable members of the community while also building a strong AANHPI voice for civil rights and social justice.
Position Summary: Advancing Justice-LA seeks a motivated, detail-oriented, collaborative and creative Development Officer who will be part of a six-person development team that raises the organization’s over $ 11 million annual budget. Under the direction of the Co-Directors of Development, the Development Officer will partner with the development team and senior staff to cultivate funding opportunities and secure foundation, government and corporate grant funding for the multiple programs serving AANHPI communities.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Identify, secure and renew foundation, government and corporate grant funding;
- Lead writing, preparation and submission of letters of inquiry and proposals and reports, including drafting persuasive and engaging program/case statements;
- Review, recommend and implement application strategies for all government and private RFP solicitations;
- Build and maintain expert knowledge of Advancing Justice – LA programs and funding landscape for Advancing Justice – LA program areas;
- Develop programming with the Executive Director and senior staff in conjunction with short and long term strategic goals for funding programs;
- Lead coordination with program staff, Communications and Finance staff on developing accurate grant budgets for submission;
- Provide regular updates of grant and contract activity, deadlines and outcomes;
- Ensure timely submission of quality work product;
- Maintain accurate and complete grant records in Bloomerang and other databases;
- Develop opportunities to enhance Advancing Justice – LA’s marketability by establishing strong foundation, corporate, law firm and individual relationships;
- Partner with board on fundraising prospects and relationships, and provide regular Board reports;
- Coordinate with Advancing Justice national affiliates on donor programs and joint initiatives;
- Work with other Development staff on organizational fundraising events, online giving, communications, and other Development-related activities, as needed.
- Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible development experience at a nonprofit required, with a demonstrated track record of securing grants of $100,000+;
- Proven ability to work independently with the skills to handle multiple projects on various timelines;
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs and donor databases;
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker;
- Knowledge of AANHPI donors in California desirable;
- Commitment to social justice with a working knowledge of the AANHPI communities preferred;
- Flexibility to work some nights and weekends;
- California driver’s license, insurance and access to a car required.
Salary will be negotiated, DOE. Excellent benefit package includes parking, medical, dental and vision insurance.
Position will remain open until filled. Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to:
Human Resources, Attn: Development Officer, email@example.com
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – LA, 1145 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90017, Fax: (213) 977-7595.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer.