TITLE: Development Director/Manager
LOCATION: Oakland, CA
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 15, 2019
REPORTS TO: Founder and Executive Director
About Root & Rebound
Root & Rebound (R&R), a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, California, works to restore and protect the rights, dignity, and opportunities of formerly incarcerated people and people affected by the criminal justice system. Our mission is to transfer power and information from the policy and legal communities to the people most impacted by the criminal justice system through public education, direct legal services, and policy advocacy, so that the law serves, rather than harms, low-income communities and communities of color in the United States. We currently operate out of our headquarters in downtown Oakland, in addition to three other California sites in San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Fresno, along with our newest sister site in Greenville, South Carolina. Learn more at www.rootandrebound.org.
Root & Rebound seeks a driven, experienced, and entrepreneurial Director/Manager of Development to join our senior management team.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with senior leadership and support staff, the ideal candidate will outline a clear vision for the Development Department that includes fundraising goals, execution strategies, and people management practices. The Director/Manager of Development will create annual strategic plans for the department, help the Executive Director to cultivate foundation and corporate donor relationships, support the ED to build and maintain individual donor relationships, manage and improve the grant writing and reporting process, and spearhead fundraising events. The Director/Manager of Development will supervise a strong, talented, and driven team, already in place, which includes a Development Associate who focuses on foundation and government grants, an Administrative & Development Coordinator, who focused on individual donors and events, and an AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer who focuses on data tracking and collection–with the understanding that we all pitch in to support each other’s work and projects as part of a dynamic, fast-paced organization.
Development at Root & Rebound
Root & Rebound’s $2.5M-3M annual budget is primarily supported by grants from private foundations, with significant funding from government grants, individual donors, earned revenue, and our annual benefit. In order for Root & Rebound to scale to meet the need for its programs and services across the state of California in South Carolina and with national education projects scaling across the U.S., it is essential that our funding stream continues to grow.
Root & Rebound’s development goals include a substantial increase in long-term, unrestricted general operating support funders, growth in foundation grants, growth in individual donors, expansion of corporate sponsors and relationships, and the continued creation of high-functioning systems to support our ambitious growth. This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to help Root & Rebound sustain and scale its programs across California and nationwide.
The Director/Manager of Development will report to the Executive Director and work closely with Root & Rebound’s executive team, and our Board of Directors. Overall core responsibilities include:
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to create annual strategic plans, in which we establish annual fundraising goals for institutional support, government grants, corporate donors, and individual giving, and develop strategies to execute and achieve these goals.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to track ongoing grants, revenue and expenditure in order to ensure the overall financial sustainability of the organization.
- Build upon and improve R&R’s communications and donor-facing language including boilerplate, concept notes, grants, LOIs, strategic planning documents, impact statements, annual appeals, social media asks, etc.
- Improve systems for organizing and utilizing all information about past, current, and prospective grants and individual donors, tracking funder and donor relationships, and overseeing/building team calendars, work plans, at-a-glance records, and relationship tracking/management tools.
- Oversee planning and implementation of individual donor initiatives and special events.
- Foster and maintain strong relationships with R&R organizational partners, including their directors and staff, and ensure clear and regular communications with these partners, particularly those with which R&R engages in collaborative fundraising efforts.
- Manage and coach our four-person development team, including a Development Associate, Administrative & Development Assistant, AmeriCorps VISTA Data & Technology Coordinator, and AmeriCorps VISTA Development & Communications Coordinator.
Root & Rebound seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- A passion for Root & Rebound’s mission and demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial justice, and criminal justice issues;
- Five years minimum of nonprofit experience with a track record of success.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
- An inspiring team leader, goal oriented, who enjoys working on a team and building partnerships with others;
- A highly organized project manager, capable of prioritizing concurrent projects and deadlines and balancing micro and macro tasks of a given week and day;
- Grant-writing and fundraising experience is highly preferred;
- Strong understanding of nonprofit organizational finances and budgets;
- Knowledge of, and experience working with, fundraising databases a plus;
- A creative, resourceful, and resilient in the face of challenges;
- A lifelong learner, eager to try new ways of doing things.
Compensation & Benefits
This position is full-time with competitive salary, depending on experience, plus employment benefits that include medical, vision, dental care, and paid time off.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, two development or communications writing samples in an email to Katherine Katcher (Executive Director) at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, November 15. Resumes without a cover letter and writing samples will not be reviewed. Please use Director/Manager of Development in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status.
Root & Rebound values diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system involvement. People with records are encouraged to apply. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Root & Rebound, visit our website at www.rootandrebound.org