The East Bay Community Law Center—a nonprofit legal services, training, and advocacy organization focused on racial and social justice—is seeking a Deputy Director of Finance (DDF) with enthusiasm for a leadership role overseeing the organization’s accounting operations and systems. The position is a key member of the Finance Department, which ensures that the organization’s resources are managed effectively and responsibly while providing organizational leadership with information and recommendations to support strategic decision-making and the organization’s mission.
The position is responsible for overseeing EBCLC’s day-to-day accounting activity, ensuring adherence to generally accepted accounting procedures (GAAP), and organizational policies and procedures, providing timely and accurate financial information and proposing and implementing improvements in EBCLC’s financial policies and systems. The position requires significant accounting experience, knowledge of GAAP, FASB, and nonprofit fund accounting, strong analytic abilities, attention to detail, and a collaborative mindset. Leadership, including the ability to present complicated financial information accessibly to various stakeholders, step in for the Finance Director in their absence, and the ability to make defensible recommendations to the Executive Team and Board is integral to this position. The DDFA reports to the Director of Finance.
East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) is a non-profit legal services organization, the community-based clinical program for U.C. Berkeley Law School, and one of the Bay Area’s largest and most effective systems disrupters. With a dual service and teaching mission, EBCLC is a racial justice organization committed to building a culturally diverse workplace, centered on equity. With about 80 staff, 150 law students a year, and a nearly $10 million annual budget, EBCLC is the largest provider of free legal services in Alameda County, providing multimodal, collaborative, and holistic legal services to over 5,000 clients annually and engaging in legislative and policy advocacy at the state and local level.
EBCLC prides itself on being a worker-friendly organization and entered into its first collective bargaining agreement with its unionized staff in July 2021. In addition to being unionized, our staff are regularly invited to provide feedback to EBCLC’s leadership, participate in various committees (including hiring committees), and are accustomed to a highly collaborative work environment.
- Manage EBCLC’s accounting activity, including transactional accounting (payables, receivables, payroll), oversight of internal controls, and regular reconciliations and reporting.
- Manage EBCLC’s accounting systems and processes in conformance with GAAP standards, FASB regulations, and EBCLC’s internal control guidelines. Recommend and implement policy and procedural changes as needed.
- Oversee and provide recommendations to the Executive Team regarding staff compensation and salary scales based on the overall organization’s financial position to inform the collective bargaining process.
- Supervise the Staff Accountant, providing feedback on performance, guidance, and direction to ensure work is done accurately and efficiently.
- Produce timely, accurate, and relevant financial information and schedules, including confidential reports for the Executive Team, and Board of Directors.
- Work closely with the Development Team to ensure restricted revenue and government contracts are correctly recorded and tracked per FASB, funder, and EBCLC requirements
- Document and disseminate EBCLC’s financial policies and procedures, updating as needed to reflect internal organizational changes and contract requirements.
- Ensure EBCLC’s accounting system(s) meet the organizational goals of accuracy, efficiency, and transparency. Research, recommend, and implement improvements, working with outside consultants as needed.
- Manage regulatory and government reporting requirements, including, but not limited to, local business licenses and tax forms, state sales/use tax, and 1099 reporting. Ensure EBCLC maintains appropriate vendor and other records to support this activity.
- Work with the Director of Finance to support annual budget preparation, including the entry of budgeted department and project expenditures in EBCLC’s accounting system. Provide timely financial information to support updated forecasting throughout the fiscal year as requested. Act in the absence of the Director of Finance and Administration
- Work with the Director of Finance to support the annual audit and federal/state tax filing.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressively responsible management experience in finance, including at least three years of nonprofit accounting. Demonstrated proficiency in intermediate accounting functions appropriate to nonprofit organizations.
- Demonstrated experience with accounting software, including cloud-based systems. Experience with implementing new systems or other change processes is highly desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, including formulas and macros.
- Exceptional attention to detail, high level of accuracy, and commitment to maintaining internal controls.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills, including the ability to troubleshoot and make data-informed recommendations.
- Good communication skills and the ability to communicate complex financial concepts to varied audiences.
- Resourceful and innovative with a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced and growing organization.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of people, including organization management, program staff, Board of Directors, clients, law students, service providers, and community partners.
- Alignment with EBCLC’s social and racial justice mission.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary for this full-time exempt position is $93,000-$103,000.
Benefits include fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees and their dependents, life and disability insurance, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, and holidays); EBCLC also offers flexible spending accounts for qualified health, dependent care, and commute expenditures; and retirement options.
Due to COVID19, EBCLC employees are primarily working remotely. As EBCLC re-opens its offices, the Deputy Director of Finance will be expected to perform some work on-site. EBCLC will provide the necessary equipment to fulfill the job responsibilities of working from home.
Working at EBCLC
EBCLC is a unionized workplace and members of the bargaining unit are represented by the Engineers and Scientists of California Local 20, IFPTE. This position is not a part of the bargaining unit.
EBCLC is strongly committed to advancing justice through education and advocacy, and the need to transform legal services and legal education. Please take time to review EBCLC’s mission, vision, programs, and website, and ensure that your cover letter reflects how your background, experience, and expertise have prepared you to be successful in performing the responsibilities of the position.
Additionally, EBCLC is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace centered on equity and providing an inclusive, welcoming, and culturally responsive environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. In your cover letter, please address how your background and experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural responsiveness and diversity amongst our staff.
We strongly encourage individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. EBCLC does not discriminate based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior contact with the criminal legal system, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Interested applicants should submit a complete application at https://eastbaycommunitylawcenter.easyapply.co/. The position will remain open until filled. EBCLC will review applications and interview candidates on a rolling basis and will only consider complete applications. A complete application must include a cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for two professional references. Please submit your complete application as one single pdf file by uploading it under “Upload Your Resume.”
*If you need technical assistance to submit your application, please message us or email email@example.com.