COURT STAFF ATTORNEY II – FAMILY LAW
Superior Court of California
County of San Mateo
$108,638.40 – $135,387.20 Annually
The Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo is seeking qualified and experienced candidates for the position of Court Staff Attorney II. The hired candidate will perform a wide variety of legal research duties for Family Law Judicial Officers.
The ideal candidate will be a member of the California State Bar (required) and will possess a strong working knowledge of California family law and procedure, as well as the functions of a California Superior Court.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following preferred qualifications:
- Proven experience performing legal research in family law, domestic violence and parentage matters.
- Knowledge of general legal principles and application to family law.
- Strong analytical skills and writing ability.
- The ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- The ability to coordinate multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
- A strong understanding of the importance of and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Please visit https://www.sanmateocourt.org/ for more information on our organization.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, providing independent legal research to the judges and commissioners of the San Mateo County Superior Court bench; researching matters and providing written memoranda for those matters set on the family law request for order calendars; reviewing and making recommendations on ex-parte motions presented to the court daily.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is three years as a Court Staff Attorney I or three years of experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills and abilities below.
Licensure Requirement: Licensed by the California State Bar Association and admitted to practice in California
- Legal principles and applications to probate and civil law.
- The Family Code, Civil Code, Code of Civil Procedure, Evidence Code, California Rules of Court, and local rules.
- Evidentiary principles, pre-trial, hearing and trial procedures.
- Legal research techniques, including the use of case law, statutory law, secondary sources, and legal indices and digests.
- Office practices and procedures, including filing and operation of standard office equipment.
- Business data processing principles and the use of automation tools for retrieval and analysis.
- Business letter and legal document formatting, and related office applications such as Word.
- Correct use of English, including grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Computerized legal research and related applications such as LexisNexis and Westlaw.
FINAL FILING DATE: October 19, 2021
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/3250497/court-staff-attorney-ii-family-law-open?page=3&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs or visit the County jobs portal page at https://jobs.smcgov.org. Applications packets for this position will only be accepted online. Application packets will consist of a completed standard Court/County of San Mateo application form; responses to the supplemental questions that are part of the application form; a resume attached to the application form; and a writing sample specific to a family law, domestic violence, or parentage matter you have briefed and argued, no longer than five pages, also attached to the application form. EOE