Position: Controller/Accounting Manager
Reports to: Director of Finance & Operations
Bargaining Unit: No
Type: Full Time
Centro Legal seeks a Controller to oversee the growing Finance department. The Controller will be responsible for all the critical finance and accounting activities according to GAAP including compiling, analyzing, and reporting accounting data, leading the annual audit and information requirement for tax filings. This role will assist the Director of Finance with presentations to the board, staff and funders.
In addition, the Controller will work closely with the senior leadership team. This position will lead the day- to-day activities of six individuals and manage the grant accounting for 30 government and non-government grants. The controller will oversee the finance team and supervise the accounting staff.
- A strong commitment to timely and accurate financial recordkeeping.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and financial reporting ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as they relate to grant accounting.
- Provides oversight to accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger functions.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period.
- Prepare financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundations.
- Maintain internal control and ensure appropriate documentation safeguards for receipts of revenue and actual expenditures. Ensure the organization compliance with
- Manages the organization’s annual audit process to ensure compliance with all FASBI, GAAP, and 990 rules for nonprofits.
- Assist the Director of Finance with the preparation of organization budgets, review and explain operational budget variances (actuals vs budget variances) making recommendations for adjustments.
- Maintains all organizational filing, permits, Business Property Statements, 501(c)(3) status, etc.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and foster an environment o0f learning and development.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of racial, economic, and social justice. Qualifications include:
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively increasing leadership experience in accounting management, preferably within a non-profit organization.
- Proven record of having led and developed teams.
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP, non-profit best practices, fund accounting preferably within a non-profit organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work respectfully with a diverse group of people.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, confidence to question existing processes and manage multiple deadlines.
- Experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis.
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants.
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
- Ability to translate complex financial concepts, synthesize data to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
- Minimum of a BA in Accounting or related field. CPA is a plus.
- Strong mathematical skills to prepare budgets, forecasting and cash flow statements.
- Software experience in Quickbooks, NetSuite, Sage Intacct. Microsoft Office (Advanced excel skills).
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full time exempt position that is competitive and commensurate with experience ranging from $100,000- $115,000. This is a full time exempt position.
Benefits and Perks:
We offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package to include: medical, dental, vision, long-term disability and life insurance.
- Medical coverage ( Kaiser) will be provided at Centro Legal’s expense covering 100%, and 50% for dependents, spouses, and partners. Our alternative health plans with United Health Care at an additional premium cost.
- Additional Benefits include: Health Care FSA, Dependent Care FSA, commuter benefits, pet insurance, and Employee Assistance Plan.
- PTO: Vacation: 0-1 year 16 days per year, 1-2 year 18 days per year, Over 2 years 23 days per year, (1) paid wellness days per month, 12 sick days per year.
- Office Closure: 12 holidays + 8 work days, to include the period from December 24th through January 1st
COVID 19 Policy
Proof of completed Covid-19 vaccination to include both shots of a two-dose vaccination regimen, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine, will be required for all employees (except for reasonable accommodations due to medical and/or religious beliefs). All employees must provide HR with their vaccination QR Code by going to https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three professional references. Include “Controller” in the subject line. Please email application materials directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
About Centro Legal de la Raza
Founded in 1969 and headquartered in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services and advocacy organization protecting and advancing the rights of immigrant, low-income, and Latino communities through bilingual representation, education, and advocacy. We combine quality legal services with know-your-rights education, affirmative litigation, and youth development, ensuring access to justice for thousands of individuals and families each year throughout Northern and Central California.
For more information, visit our website: https://centrolegal.org/
Centro Legal’s mission includes advancing social, economic and racial justice. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion within and ensuring a workplace where all staff can flourish and grow professionally and well beyond. Our staff are the most important part of our ability to achieve our mission. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation, sustainability and our organization’s success.
Centro Legal is an equal employment opportunity employer and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship, age, medical condition including genetic characteristics, mental or physical disability, service in the uniformed services or veteran status, marital status, family responsibilities, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity (including transgender status), gender expression, weight, height, linguistic characteristics (such as accent and limited English proficiency where not substantially job-related), citizenship status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, HIV/AIDs status, conviction/incarceration history (subject to any requirements, exceptions or limitations provided for in the Fair Chance Act or other applicable federal, state, and local law), political affiliation, Union activity, or any other basis prohibited by law. Centro Legal also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that an individual has any of the characteristics of the protected classes listed above, and further prohibits discrimination against an individual who is associated with a person who has, or is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.