Legal Assistance for Seniors (LAS) is a non-profit agency serving Alameda County residents who are 60 years of age and older. We provide legal advice and information, representation in court and administrative hearings, referrals to other community resources, and community education and training in the following areas: prevention of elder abuse, public benefits, housing, guardianships, naturalization, and health law.
Through its Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP), LAS provides individual counseling and community education to Medicare beneficiaries in the areas of Medicare, supplemental coverage including Medicare Advantage and prescription drug plans, low income assistance programs, and long-term care insurance.
This is a full-time position at Legal Assistance for Seniors. The Contract Assistant supports all aspects of contract management and provides support to the operations of the Agency. The position requires full review and understanding of the agency’s contracts, along with strong analytical and reporting skills. This person will support the program staff by providing timely reports and analysis of progress towards contract goals. This position works closely with the Office Manager and Accounting Associate and reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and maintain database systems and reporting processes
- Create and monitor reports necessary for contract compliance
- Manage calendar for contract reporting requirements and funding opportunities
- Prepare and submit progress reports to funders
- Create, update, and train LAS staff on database processes
- Report and provide initial analysis of data to Program Managers to assess progress and meet contract goals
- Manage contract report for LAS Management Committee on a quarterly basis and as requested
- Assist with supplies procurement by taking inventory, ordering and receiving, and processing payment requests
- Opening and delivery of daily mail, including logging of incoming checks
- Preparation of check requests, including proper documentation and approval
- Assist with daily timekeeping management
- Assist Office Manager with annual contracts such as insurance and fringe benefit renewals
- Produce demographic and other data for grant applications and/or periodic reports
- Work collaboratively with the Development Associate to support the grant application and reporting processes
- Two-year degree
- Minimum two-years of experience working in finance and/or database management
- Administrative experience, preferably in a non-profit organization
- Organized and able to work effectively under fast-paced conditions to meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Foster strong internal and external relationships
- Excellent computer skills, including Access and Excel
- High level analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and with a wide diversity of staff, projects, and funders
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices
Working conditions & physical requirements
- Extensive computer use
- Ability to sit for extended periods, use of phone and computer systems for long periods of time
- Alternate between sitting and motion tasks frequently
- Occasional off-site meetings; travel may be required
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends
Full time non-exempt rate of $19.00 to $21.00 per hour depending on experience, 35 hours per week. Generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage; vacation and sick leave; enrollment in and employer contributions toward 401k plan after 6 months; pre-tax cafeteria plan (medical, transportation, childcare) after 6 months.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume in a PDF format to email@example.com with the subject line “Contract Assistant.” In your cover letter please address the following:
LAS serves an extremely diverse population. Our clients include seniors, people with disabilities, low income members of our community, LGBTQ individuals, and people of color. How do you think your experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question.
Legal Assistance for Seniors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on ancestry, age, color, disability (physical and mental, includes HIV and AIDS), genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition (gender characteristics, cancer or record or history of cancer), military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), sex/gender (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, request for FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act), or any other factor that is not related to the position.