Who we are:
California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform (CANHR), is a dynamic statewide nonprofit advocacy organization, dedicated to improving the choices, care, and quality of life for California’s long-term care consumers over the last 36 years. CANHR supports long-term care consumers and the legal services community through direct advocacy, community education, policy work, and litigation.
The Consumer & Policy Advocate provides counseling and advocacy services to individuals and family members who are seeking long term care services, or who currently reside in long term care facilities, such as nursing homes, residential care facilities or continuing care retirement communities. The Advocate supports consumers with understanding and accessing Medi-Cal and Waiver Programs, understanding placement options, and discussing options for decision making. The Consumer & Policy Advocate also works with a team of CANHR staff to make recommendations for policy change at local and state levels to improve service access and quality of care for the elderly and disabled populations. The position is full time 37.5 hours per week. Hours of operation are 9am-5pm Monday through Friday.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Advocate position includes, but is not limited to:
Consumer Counseling and Advocacy
- Provide information on Medi-Cal eligibility, alternatives to institutionalization, and residents’ rights
- Provide quality and service information on long term care facilities
- Offer advocacy intervention in response to consumer complaints regarding residents’ rights, long term care, Medicare and Medi-Cal
- Under the supervision of CANHR’s staff attorneys, work with legal services community to assist consumers with rights and remedies
- Participate in taskforces and workgroups with other legal services organizations to advocate for policy change at local, state and federal levels
- Work with CANHR staff to develop legislation to improve long term care issues
- Monitor proposed legislation, laws and policies that impact residents of long term care facilities, public benefit recipients, elderly and disabled populations
- Provide state agencies with comments and feedback on draft policies that impact elderly and disabled populations
Community Outreach and Education
- Target and coordinate training sessions for social workers, discharge planners and others that work with long term care consumers and their families
- Speak to community groups about relevant topics
- Network with organizations involved in long term care issues
- Prepare consumer information materials
- Write articles for CANHR’s quarterly newsletter
Social Media Advocacy
- Create content for CANHR’s Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts, with some assistance on Instagram and Instagram Stories as needed.
- Monitor breaking news and social conversations, crafting creative and responsive social media messages and memes that illuminate key CANHR positions in real time.
- Increase CANHR’s audience size and engagement metrics.
- Plan and execute social media strategies using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn advertising tools, including identifying target audiences, drafting social post copy and coordinating the creation of videos and graphics.
- Assist with special projects as requested by the Program Manger or Executive or Deputy Director.
- Summarize Citations issued to skilled nursing facilities by DPH.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) required; Master’s degree in Social Work (MSW) preferred
- Three years of professional experience in legal services, social work or aging or public benefits-related field
- Excellent written, organizational and communication skills
- Computer literacy and ability to learn new tech skills; knowledge of Macs a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and a passion for advocacy
- Experience with long term care issues and Medi-Cal or other public benefits
- Ability to speak Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin is desirable
CANHR provides excellent benefits including medical/dental, paid holidays, vacation, sick leave and life insurance. The salary for the position is $50K+ DOE. All new employees are subject to a 90-day probationary period.
California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from persons of color, women, and LGBTQ individuals, persons with disabilities and persons from underrepresented groups.
Please email a cover letter, your resume and three references to email@example.com. No phone calls please.