CONSUMER FRAUD ATTORNEY
|CLASSIFICATION: Union – Attorney II||SALARY: $70,000+ Annually DOE/DOQ|
|DEPARTMENT: Legal||FLSA STATUS: Exempt|
|REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney||APPLICATION OPEN: Until Filled|
Description: As the leading provider of legal services for low income seniors in Los Angeles, Bet Tzedek is at the forefront of combating elder abuse in all its forms, including elder financial abuse and consumer fraud. While likely under-reported, estimates of elder financial abuse and consumer fraud range from $2.9 billion to $36.5 billion annually. The impact on the lives of seniors is nothing short of devastating. Bet Tzedek is seeking a passionate attorney to join the fight against elder consumer fraud through a combination of direct representation, policy advocacy, and education and outreach efforts designed to combat structural inequalities, including predatory lending and other barriers to asset building in low income communities and communities of color. As part of the agency’s Justice for Seniors initiative, this attorney will conduct all phases of litigation related to real estate fraud, mortgage foreclosure, and other consumer law issues impacting elderly clients. In addition, the attorney will coordinate and conduct outreach presentations concerning elder fraud issues and engage in public policy advocacy on consumer protection issues, including legislative policymaking and regulatory advocacy. In partnership with other Bet Tzedek attorneys and advocates deploying other legal tools, such as Elder Abuse Restraining Orders, Advance Planning, and Conservatorship, this attorney will help preserve the safety, security, and dignity of our elderly community members.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct all phases of elder consumer fraud litigation, including fact investigation, settlement negotiations, drafting pleadings, discovery,
law and motion practice, trials and appeals.
- Develop, conduct and/or co-counsel strategic elder fraud-focused impact litigation.
- Conduct community education and outreach presentations to seniors, particularly seniors from traditionally
underserved communities, such as seniors living with disabilities, senior women,
immigrant seniors, and seniors from communities of color.
- Work with pro bono attorneys and in-house volunteers to address client needs.
- Analyze, track, and develop legislative and regulatory proposals that relate to project work.
- Communicate effectively with partner organizations, stakeholders, and the media about project work.
- Case management and grant compliance (opening, coding, entry of case time, case reviews, etc.)
- Active California State Bar membership, strong research, writing, and motion practice experience, and demonstrated commitment to public interest (required)
- At least 5 years of litigation experience (trial experience highly preferred)
- Experience in consumers’ rights, debtors’ rights, home equity/title fraud, or elder financial abuse (preferred).
- Bilingual in English/Spanish (preferred).
How To Apply: Email letter of interest with salary requirement, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Subject: “CONSUMER FRAUD ATTORNEY”)
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained. To best serve our communities Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.