Community Worker (Migrant Unit) – Stockton
Job Location Stockton – Stockton, CA
Position Type Full Time
Education Level High School
Salary Range $14.80 – $28.03 Hourly
Travel %Up to 25%
Job Shift Day
Job Categories Legal
WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1966, CRLA’s mission is to fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of our society. Through a network of regional offices and cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to over 27,000 low-income people annually. Our work impacts farm workers, individuals with disabilities, immigrant populations, LGBT communities, women, children and families in rural areas.
The Community Worker will report to the Directing Attorney and will be supporting the Migrant Unit through initial screenings for eligibility, interview to determine the nature of the legal problem/s and to identify the type of legal assistance being sought by the applicants. They will also engage in field inspections and conducting regular community education and outreach.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform intakes through initial applicant screening for eligibility.
- Interview applicants to learn the underlying causes of their legal problem, and how the legal assistance being sought would assist clients in meeting their short, mid-range, and longer-term goals.
- Assist pro-per clients in identifying useful information for presentation of their cases and provide appropriate advocacy, provide applicants with appropriate legal information and referrals.
- Conduct investigations by gathering information through field inquiry and other research related to actual or potential cases and litigation.
- Prepare simple documents from standard forms, prepare/deliver verbal and written reports to Attorneys and other Staff of applicant interviews, including facts pertinent to the issues raised by applicants, assessments of applicants’ capacities to represent themselves in the legal matter, and of the obstacles applicants face in meeting their stated goals.
- Lay Advocacy, represent client’s interests in administrative hearings and other forums appropriate to a non-lawyer and engage in lay advocacy to the extent permissible under the law and the code of professional ethics, perform ministerial duties in connection with lawsuits such as filing and the service of process.
- Community outreach and education by providing legal information and skills training to individuals and groups to help our client communities understand and assert their legal rights and responsibilities.
- Collaborate with other agencies by maintaining CRLA liaison with local organizations and groups to ensure that CRLA resources address client community needs.
- Community Workers may be required to work outside the office, for instance, to work on regional sweeps.
- Perform other tasks assigned.
- Applicant must have the ability to perform all of the above duties.
- Commitment to serving low income clients.
- Ability to use internet, database and computer word processing programs.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to interact productively with diverse community populations.
- Spanish-English fluency required.
- Applicants must have car and car insurance.
- Knowledge of researching and investigation methods including computer research.
- Knowledge of interviewing techniques
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn the techniques of conducting community outreach events.
- Ability to effectively communicate and negotiate with adverse parties, under the supervision of the attorney.
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Experience working with low-income families and communities.
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Additional language ability relevant to the primary communities.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Competitive public interest union salary scale, generous healthcare benefits package (Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance) and 401K retirement plan contribution. Generous paid Holidays, paid vacation and paid sick days.
We invite you to submit your application HERE, include your cover letter and resume. Alternative, you may apply by sending your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include ‘Job Title’ in the subject line of email.
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.