POSITION: Community Outreach Liaison
SUPERVISOR: Directing Attorney of Intake and Assessment Unit
WAGE RANGE: $19.61/HR to $21.74/HR (DOE)
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
LOCATION: Santa Ana, Ca. (Due to COVID-19 physical office is open by appointment only).
CLA SoCal seeks an enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and compassionate individual who will thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced public interest law firm. The Community Outreach Liaison will work as a member of the Intake and Assessment Unit to conduct intake and assessment of new clients via the CLA SoCal Hotline, Online Intake, off-site legal clinics, and outreach events. This full-time non-exempt position reports to the Directing Attorney.
- Dependent on grant, provide services to a specific community population.
- Dependent on grant, assist with grant reporting and tracking grant deliverables.
- Represent CLA SoCal at community meetings and events.
- Collaborate with current community partners, and build new partnerships with community-based organizations, neighborhood groups, and other agencies working within our community.
- Cultivate relationships with community stakeholders – individuals and organizations.
- Create, plan and execute intentional community outreach strategies.
- Create know your rights educational materials.
- Assist with client intake at community events and remotely under the supervision of an attorney
- Screen clients for eligibility and obtain demographic information
- Determine and document legal problems and relay advice and counsel given by attorney to eligible clients over the phone.
- Provide community presentations about the resources available at CLA SoCal.
- Collect data necessary to meet funding requirements and statistical reports.
- Enter time and notes into Case Management System.
- Follow all organizational and grant compliance policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as required to meet the needs of the organization.
- Experience in community engagement – Preferred.
- Bilingual Vietnamese proficiency – Strongly Preferred.
- Outgoing, confident public speaker, creative, and passionate.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, computer skills, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong personal work ethic, initiative, and ability to organize time, and manage diverse activities with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skill, communication skills, and comfort working with diverse populations
- Strong technical skills; including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams).
- Desire to learn as well as share knowledge with other team members and the community.
- Empathetic and energetic attitude while working with others.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of communities utilizing a trauma-informed, equity, inclusion, and social justice frameworks.
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, active insurance policy or other ability to travel frequently in and around the service area to engage community partners – Required.
- Proven interest in social justice issues.
- Ability to model CLA SoCal’s values (compassion, collaboration, trust, accountability and excellence) in the performance of job duties – Required.
- Commitment to CLA SoCal’s mission – Required.
What We Offer
Our staff members work a 35-hour week and we offer a flexible and remote work schedule. We also offer an outstanding benefit package which includes medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance with an optional employee buy-in; and short-term and long-term disability. Our employees have access to paid holidays, vacation, personal time, and sick time on their first day. Employee Assistance Program available. Employees who are able to prove bilingual proficiency are eligible for a monetary bonus.
COVID-19 Work Conditions
The position requires working with individuals during moments of extreme stress and instability. The position also requires the provision of culturally sensitive and empathetic services. Due to the COVID pandemic, our office is largely working remotely. Exceptions include mandatory court appearances, required client meetings and hearings and some administrative staff. This position is only temporarily remote, except for such mandatory appearances. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment before date of hire.
About Community Legal Aid
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a diverse non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the legal needs of low-income residents and seniors throughout Orange and Los Angeles Counties. We focus on removing barriers to equitable access and provide compassionate, high-quality legal aid. Employees are offered professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an equal opportunity employer.