COMMUNITY LAWYER FOR HOUSING
CLSEPA seeks a full-time community lawyer to work with its housing team. The attorney will work alongside organizers to prevent displacement in Silicon Valley, where Latinx communities and other communities of color, who have been hit hardest by the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, face a crisis of evictions, predatory rent increases, demolitions, and housing discrimination. The attorney will provide legal support to the organizing and advocacy efforts of groups of tenants who have been most impacted by the displacement crisis, in addition to representing tenants in eviction cases and affirmative litigation to improve housing conditions and combat discrimination. CLSEPA is a legal services non-profit that combines policy advocacy and impact litigation with direct legal services. We specialize in housing, immigration, and economic advancement. Our legal advocates work side-by-side with low-income communities, predominately communities of color in East Palo Alto and the Peninsula, to bring about lasting change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Training to be provided as needed)
- Collaborate closely with organizers to help form, advise, and represent tenant associations in multifamily buildings and/or neighborhoods that are experiencing gentrification pressures.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to tenants on housing issues.
- Provide policy analysis and technical assistance to community partners who are advocating for anti-displacement legislation in local governments across San Mateo County and Mountain View.
- Represent tenants in litigation and in administrative proceedings.
- Develop and participate in community outreach events and legal workshops/clinics.
- Maintain and establish relationships with community partners, media contacts, and public officials.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (Required)
- California Bar membership or willingness to sit for California Bar exam
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including comfort with frequent public speaking
- Commitment to serving low-income populations and communities of color
- Ability to attend evening meetings 2x a week on average, with a flexible schedule and some mornings off
- Proficiency or fluency in conversational Spanish required (technical Spanish is not required)
- Ability to relate to and communicate with a broad range of clients and colleagues
- Values working cooperatively with others, both within the organization and in the community
COMPENSATION: $70,000 to $95,000 or higher (this range is for an attorney just out of law school to a senior attorney with 10 years of experience). Benefits include generous paid leave, medical, vision and dental insurance, life and disability insurance. CLSEPA also offers a flexible spending plan for qualified health and child care expenditures.
LOCATION: This position may be based in East Palo Alto, Burlingame, or Mountain View depending on the candidate’s preference, and could include a flexible remote work schedule. All our work is currently remote until further notice.
TO APPLY: Please send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and list of three references to Human Resources, Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto, 1861 Bay Rd., East Palo Alto CA 94303 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Lawyer – Housing” in the subject heading. No calls please. In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered. CLSEPA’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are low income persons of color. It is critical that our staff work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community, and that we create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.