The Law Foundation of Silicon Valley is seeking to hire a Communications Specialist to manage and coordinate all external communications of the organization.
The Law Foundation of Silicon Valley advances the rights of under-represented individuals and families in our diverse community through legal services, strategic advocacy, and educational outreach. Now with 90 employees, the Law Foundation is the largest provider of free legal services in the South Bay. Located in downtown San Jose, the Law Foundation is a dynamic and interesting place to work. We pride ourselves on fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative and fun, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth. The Law Foundation believes in providing the highest quality of legal representation to its clients.
Summary of Position
The Communications Specialist reports to the Director of Development and is an integral part of the Development team and works closely with the management team, colleagues, and volunteers to message and market the work of the Law Foundation in all external communications including those directed to donors, elected officials and the general public. This includes quarterly newsletters, social media, website, grant proposals, media relations and other special projects. The Communications Specialist is an excellent writer with a strong attention to detail and enjoys making a difference in our community and being part of a team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead writer for Law Foundation print and electronic marketing materials including annual report, newsletter, program brochures, acknowledgment letters, donor appeal letters, etc.; may also include minor graphic design work in templates;
- Manage communications schedule and work with program staff to coordinate content for social media, blog, newsletters, special initiatives for observances (i.e. pro bono week, affordable housing week, child abuse awareness month, etc.) and other related projects. This includes learning about client success stories and then drafting these stories to be shared with an external audience of donors, volunteers, and the public;
- Create and maintain centralized media list, local/regional/national, to enhance our reach and affirm our legal expertise in our community; draft and promote press releases related to our work and issue areas and coordinate press conferences on occasion;
- Respond to media requests, schedule interviews and prepare program staff for interviews;
- In collaboration with development team, manage an ambitious grant schedule that involves identifying prospects, communicating with funders, writing and preparing grant applications and letters of inquiry, and reporting on grants that have been received;
- In coordination with colleagues, regularly update the Law Foundation’s social media outlets, including the website, Constant Contact, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter;
- Manage marketing and event videos from conception to final production, with guidance from the Director of Development and in conjunction with related program staff; act as the main point-person with video production vendor;
- Oversee and maintain the Law Foundation website, ensuring updated information on programs and events and advancing the usability of the site for clients;
- Create, maintain, and ensure Law Foundation branding, style guide, and tone for all marketing materials, both internally and externally;
- Assist in creating talking points for CEO and other relevant parties for meetings, videos, and events;
- Support event planning activities with communications and marketing relating to invitations, programs, and post-event follow-up;
- Serve as staff coordinator of the board’s Fund Development Committee by preparing agendas and taking minutes; and
- Assist the Director of Development as needed on other special projects.
- Strong writing and administrative skills, with excellent attention to detail and ability to draft creative, persuasive, and mission-driven content
- Minimum three years’ experience in journalism or public relations and/or nonprofit development or marketing
- Excellent computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Experience with light graphic design and layout a plus
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment
- Dedication to the mission of the Law Foundation
Competitive nonprofit compensation, based upon comparable professional experience. Excellent benefits provided, including paid holidays, vacation, health insurance and 401(k). More information regarding the Law Foundation is available on our website: www.lawfoundation.org.
The Law Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage people of color, women, people living with disabilities, older people, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people to apply. It is the policy of the Law Foundation to prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, medical condition or genetic information, veteran status, national origin, disability, marital or other protected status. The Law Foundation will conform to the spirit, as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
Interviews will be scheduled for late July-early August; position will remain open until filled. Please submit the following via e-mail to email@example.com: (1) a resume, (2) three professional references, and (3) a cover letter that explains your interest in and qualification for the position and also addresses the following question:
In order to best serve our clients and our community, the Law Foundation is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How has your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, prepared you to contribute to social justice, race equity and diversity among our staff?