Communications & Development Assistant
Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) is committed to ensuring fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of our community and addressing systemic inequities that foster intergenerational poverty. Practicing in seven Bay Area counties, BayLegal is the largest provider of free civil legal services in the Bay Area. We help clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. Our clients include the working poor, families with children, foster youth, seniors, immigrants, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Through our regional county offices, our mobile advocacy clinics, and our nationally-recognized Legal Advice Line and Health Consumer Center hotlines, BayLegal’s mission is to prevent domestic violence and sexual assault, increase economic stability, protect consumers, expand access to healthcare, and prevent homelessness. For our clients, BayLegal makes the difference between staying in poverty and thriving toward a brighter future.
Position: BayLegal seeks an individual with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice advocacy to join our Development & Communications department and the broader BayLegal team to help tell the story about the importance of civil legal aid, steward and support our donors, and draw more supporters to our mission. The Assistant reports to the Director of Development & Communications and works closely with attorneys and advocates throughout the firm to cultivate and develop stories of BayLegal’s advocacy build client stories and key messages. This position provides strategic leadership opportunities to grow both our fundraising and communications operations. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about these new opportunities, and engaged in helping to strategize them.
As Communications & Development Assistant you will have the opportunity to work with the Director of Development & Communications and other BayLegal staff to:
- Process individual, corporate and law firm donations, track fundraising campaign progress, generate donor acknowledgements and carry out donor stewardship plans.
- Administer our donor and supporter database.
- Write copy for print and electronic communications including client interviews, email newsletter feature stories, press releases/media advisories, website news and information pages, annual reports, and a wide variety of public-facing outreach and educational materials.
- Collaborate in annual updating and development of fundraising and communications goals and strategies.
- Manage project timeline and workflow for the monthly email and website newsletter and associated social media, including historical research and preparation of archival materials for inclusion in our ongoing 20th Anniversary Storytelling Project.
- Assist in development of clear, compelling approaches to print design, “look and feel”, and online user interface.
- Assist in ongoing assessment of technological and production infrastructure and vendor relationships for print, mail, web, and other communications needs.
- Support media outreach, including monitoring of media trends, cultivation of media contacts, and shared maintenance of our media database.
- Provide support and coordination for occasional fundraising and special events.
- Engage in other tasks and projects in the interest of furthering BayLegal’s mission and operations as a non-profit.
Requirements / Qualifications / About the successful candidate:
- Commitment to social justice and to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Humility in working with colleagues and clients across the spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, immigrant status, religious identity, physical and mental disabilities, and/or limited English proficiency.
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
- Strong conceptual grasp of design, data management, and editorial processes, with technical proficiency in one or more of these areas highly valued (e.g., experience with Salesforce, project management software, Adobe Creative Suite, and website management in WordPress and other platforms)
- Excellent writing skills appropriate for crafting public-facing messages for diverse professional and layperson audiences
- Demonstrated ability to safeguard sensitive information and work with professionalism and integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team
- Sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits: We offer a diverse, family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. BayLegal’s benefits package includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and up to 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees whose language skills are used in the provision of work tasks; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program and 401k retirement plan following first year. Paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
COVID-19 Remote Work: Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, all BayLegal employees are currently working remotely from home. While BayLegal has implemented detailed health and safety protocols to minimize risk of exposure and have an evolving plan for reopening our local offices, we anticipate remaining primarily remote at least throughout the rest of 2020. All employees are expected to be able to primarily work remotely from home until BayLegal determines it is safe to reopen offices. All employees are issued BayLegal computers, provided with appropriate supplies and BayLegal covers reasonable work-related expenses. BayLegal has implemented and continues to explore additional technologies to make working remotely as efficient and connected as possible. All employees receive a flat-rate monthly amount to cover the use of personal IT equipment, including internet.
Applications: BayLegal thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please email the following to our Human Resources Department email@example.com (1) cover letter including response to question below (no page limit), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample. Please reference Communications & Development Associate in the subject of your email. Applicants are encouraged to apply by June 24, 2020.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include people of color, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, seniors, people with lived experiences of homelessness, veterans, people with disabilities, and people from other underrepresented groups. BayLegal is committed to enhancing the provision of our services to all clients, increasing positive client outcomes, and creating an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. BayLegal promotes and supports policies that enable us to work effectively in cross-cultural situations with our clients, coworkers, and the community.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to: (1) serve our diverse client base effectively, (2) work effectively with colleagues from different backgrounds than your own, (3) acknowledge the systemic barriers that our clients face, and (4) contribute to our efforts to fight for racial justice? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, provide examples, and apply various aspects of your life and personal experiences.