POSITION: Case Manager/Paralegal
SUPERVISOR: Staff Attorney
WAGE RANGE: Depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Full time, hourly, non-exempt
LOCATION: Various Offices
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County. CLA SoCal seeks an energetic, motivated, personable and effective Case Worker to provide holistic, trauma-informed care services to victims of domestic violence in southeast Los Angeles.
Under the supervision of the Staff Attorney, the Case Manager will Provide one-on-one support services for Domestic Violence (DV) clients that will complement legal efforts to prevent and/or mitigate abusive conditions for these clients and their family members. This position will also broaden the community safety net to support family violence victims and those at risk.
Essential Job Duties
- Conducts interviews for intake, assessment, referral and reassessment;
- Provides case management services, present case finding and review case records;
- Maintains regular contact with assigned clients/ caseload as needed;
- Works with legal staff throughout the LA County offices to identify the clients most in need of case management services;
- Reaches out to regional DV shelters and other stakeholders, participating in regional DV coalitions, and works on the Compton Family Justice Center planning group;
- Provides referrals to community resources and services;
- Monitors progress of services, as well as, evaluating availability and effectiveness of services;
- Identifies community service needs or gaps and assists in the development of needed services and improvement in the quality of services;
- Prepares administrative reports, provide consultation and in-service training to staff;
- Demonstrates effective communication skills in building relationships with all employees and clients;
- Empowers clients to become involved in their own planning and goal setting;
- Observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship;
- Collects data necessary to meet funding requirements and statistical reports;
- Enters time into Case Management System;
- Plans the creation of an in-house internship program that will bring students pursuing a Masters’ degree in Social Work (MSW) to work with CLA SoCal clients in 2020; and
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Excellent organizational and case management skills;
- Excellent communication skills including ability to relate to diverse client population via telephone and in person;
- Ability to work well with colleagues and community allies in a variety of settings;
- Attend hearings to support client and occasionally testify;
- Possess a good working knowledge of and sensitivity towards individuals who have experienced extreme loss and trauma;
- Proactive, self-motivated, resourceful/adaptable, and creative in the planning process; able to manage multiple tasks and adjust quickly to changing priorities, and to effectively resolve and cope with immediate crisis situations;
- Acts as an advocate for clients to assure receipt of entitled services and to assure client’s rights are protected;
- Working knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Office, and database programs;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to be compassionate and firm and always maintain confidentiality;
- Knowledge of community resources; and
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree required. LCSW or related license desirable, but not required. Must have two years’ experience as a case manager or social worker. Prior experience managing MSW/LCSW students preferable.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Jessica Flowers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.
Community Legal Aid SoCal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.