Caregiver Services Attorney
CLASSIFICATION: Attorney I (Union, status exempt)
SALARY: $60k +
DOQ DEPARTMENT: Caregiver Unit
REPORTS TO: Directing Attorney
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until filled
For 45 years Bet Tzedek has set the standard for innovation and excellence in poverty law. In that tradition Bet Tzedek seeks a Caregiver Services staff attorney to join the Caregiver Unit to provide legal services and engage in community engagement and collaboration efforts designed to address the unique legal issues and advance the interests of caregivers, and the seniors, and dependent adults they care for. The staff attorney will actively participate in the unit’s signature programs, such as our nationally recognized Transitions program designed to support dependent adults age with dignity, as well as support program initiatives such as the ongoing development of self-help and client guides as well as outreach initiatives.
- Provide direct legal services, including court representation, in the areas of probate conservatorships, advanced planning, caregiver-related public benefits, and other related areas of law.
- Develop and conduct community education and outreach programs throughout Los Angeles County on a variety of caregiver issues.
- Work closely with Caregiver Unit team members to create effective outreach materials.
- Work closely with Caregiver and Elder Justice team members to strategize, design, and implement innovative service delivery models for seniors and dependent adults.
- Conduct intake and case investigation and participate in weekly case review meetings.
- Conduct bi-weekly workshops to help pro per litigants resolve post filing issues.
- Work closely with Bet Tzedek’s Director of Pro Bono Programs to place matters with pro bono attorneys, and train and mentor pro bono attorneys, law students, and other volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to Bet Tzedek’s mission to provide free legal services to those who need them most (required);
- Demonstrated commitment to applying principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion in performance of job duties.
- Active member of the California State Bar in good standing, or licensed in another state and eligible to practice under Rule 9.45 of the California Rules of Court (Registered Legal Services Attorneys) (required);
- 1-2 years practice experience legal aid, or elder law (preferred);
- Working knowledge of elder law (preferred);
- Working proficiency in Spanish (required)
HOW TO APPLY Email letter of interest and resume to bettzedek.B4.firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: “Caregiver Services Attorney”)
Note: This position is part of a special program created using designated funds; there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained. To best serve our communities Bet Tzedek seeks a diverse staff with cultural competency reflecting our client populations.
We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups to apply.