Bilingual Legal Aid Client Assistant
About the Center:
Founded in 1982, the Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law is one of the most innovative legal programs in the nation designed specifically for low income families in turmoil. The focus of the Center’s efforts is on legal problems involving custody, visitation, support of children, domestic violence, and establishing parentage.
We protect victims of domestic violence and improve the well-being of children living in poverty. With the help of volunteers, the Center provides free family law assistance and legal education to the poor. We strive to empower people in need and assure them meaningful access to the courts.
We aspire to create a community where poverty is not a barrier to those who seek to resolve critical family law matters.
About the Position:
The Client Assistant plays a vital role in providing low-income persons, many of whom are victims of domestic violence, with high quality and compassionate assistance to solve their family law problems. The Client Assistant’s job requires a range of attributes, including a desire to help others and strong administrative and technical competencies. The Client Assistant is part of a team of knowledgeable and supportive co-workers and volunteers in a legal aid office committed to addressing the most challenging social justice issues of our time: inequality, domestic abuse, economic insecurity, and the well-being of vulnerable children.
Key Features of the Job:
- As the initial contact for prospective clients, the Client Assistant provides information, and direction to a wide variety of callers, many in distress, seeking the Center’s services;
- Helps determine whether prospective clients will qualify for the Center’s services by carefully determining their eligibility and completing required forms;
- Maintains file records, schedules appointments, uses databases, communicates regularly with clients, aids staff lawyers/volunteers, and performs other tasks related to client cases and the administration of the Center’s business, as needed;
- Travels to outreach sites throughout the County to conduct eligibility and screening services in neighborhood locations, at community colleges, and other sites.
Essential Job Qualifications:
- Associates (AA) or Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) from an accredited institution of higher learning;
- Oral fluency and proficiency in English and Spanish; ability to write satisfactorily;
- Tech-savvy including demonstrated ability to quickly adapt, learn new platforms, tools, and processes;
- Access to reliable transportation to outreach sites; valid CA driver’s license and proof of motor vehicle insurance;
- Availability to work some Saturdays;
- Ability to ensure a confidential remote work environment as needed.
Start Date: ASAP
Position: Full-time, non-exempt, 37.5 hours/week
Salary and Benefits: Salary: Commensurate with experience and Center resources. Benefits include: medical, dental, and vision insurance; voluntary employee retirement plan; paid vacation and holiday leave; reimbursed travel and educational expenses; professional development; experience in a legal aid office.
Location: Temporarily remote; Office in Los Angeles/Koreatown
How to Apply:
Interested persons should email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write “Client Assistant” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. Position open until filled.
The Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law is an Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, color, creed, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or family status, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, pregnancy (including childbirth and breastfeeding), genetic information, disability or medical condition, military or veteran status or any other indisputable characteristic, or perception of protected status, in accordance with applicable law.