Bilingual Attorney, Family Law Assisted Self Help (FLASH)
Join an organization dedicated to improving our community through programs that provide equal access to legal services. The Justice & Diversity Center (JDC) of The Bar Association of San Francisco currently has an exciting opportunity for a Bilingual Attorney, to work at the San Francisco Superior Court for JDC’s Family Law Assisted Self-Help Project (FLASH).
About JDC . . .
JDC is a non-profit organization that provides free legal services to low-income and indigent San Francisco residents through staff and volunteer based services. Each year more than 1,900 volunteer attorneys, interpreters, law students and college students work with JDC staff to serve nearly 8,500 indigent clients. JDC’s holistic advocacy approach seeks to address the social service needs of clients in addition to their legal needs.
About the Job . . .
Family Law Assisted Self-Help (FLASH) is a JDC project housed at the San Francisco Unified Family Court. FLASH provides assistance to low-income parties representing themselves in divorce cases. FLASH meets with pro per litigants on a one-to-one basis and provides two workshops per month. We are seeking a family law attorney bilingual in English and Spanish to administer and staff that project, working in cooperation with (but separately from) the Court’s Self Help Center staff.
The Bilingual Attorney, FLASH’s responsibilities include: assisting low-income pro per litigants with filings related to all aspects and stages of divorce proceedings through judgment; attending the Court’s Family Centered Case Resolution and Status Conference calendars to assist self-represented litigants; conducting a bimonthly settlement conference workshop; and working independently to administer services, including data collection and coordination with the Court.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Must be a licensed member of the California State Bar in good standing with at least three years of family law experience
- Experience with litigation in family law matters
|SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS|
- Bilingual English/Spanish skills required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to make quick decisions and handle a high volume of activity
- Self-starter who works well independently and in a team environment
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and independently prioritize with high attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income clients
- Communicates effectively with judges, clerks, volunteer attorneys, unrepresented litigants, co-workers, and people from low-income communities
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), Essential Forms, and DissoMaster helpful
Why Work For Us . . .
We offer a collaborative work environment, a progressive work culture, and a wonderfully diverse staff. Additionally, we are a mission and values based organization.
We also offer a generous benefits package that includes: a choice of medical insurance plans, dental insurance, vision insurance, pretax commuter, health, and dependent care accounts, employer paid short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and a retirement and profit-sharing benefit, and more!
To find out more about the Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF) and JDC, please visit our website at www.sfbar.org.
To Apply . . .
BASF is strongly committed to diversity and we encourage applications from people who can contribute to our diversity, including people with disabilities.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: BASFjobs@sfbar.org (please reference Bilingual Attorney, FLASH in the subject heading) or Human Resources, JDC, 301 Battery Street, Third Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111.
No phone calls please. Due to the amount of resumes we receive each day, we will not be able to respond individually with the status of your application.