BANKRUPTCY SELF HELP DESK & CLINIC STAFF ATTORNEY
CONSUMER RIGHTS & ECONOMIC JUSTICE
DEBTOR ASSISTANCE PROJECT
Public Counsel is the largest pro bono public interest law firm in the country. Founded in 1970, it is dedicated to advancing equal justice under law and addressing economic, racial, social, and other inequities by delivering free legal and social services to the most vulnerable members of our community. Public Counsel operates eight legal projects: Children’s Rights, Community Development, Consumer Rights & Economic Justice, Homelessness Prevention, Immigrants’ Rights, Veterans’ Rights, the Audrey Irmas Project for Women & Girls’ Rights, and our impact litigation project, Opportunity Under Law. Public Counsel has a full-time staff of over 130. We seek to have a racially inclusive staff.
Public Counsel’s Consumer Rights & Economic Justice (“CREJ”) Project is one of the oldest projects within Public Counsel. Our mission is to advance economic justice by providing legal counsel for, and advocacy on behalf of low-income individuals and their families, addressing inequalities in bargaining power, opposing those who take advantage of the vulnerable, and holding wrongdoers accountable.
This is a full time Bankruptcy Staff Attorney position for an attorney with 3-5 years of experience. The successful candidate will join the Consumer Rights & Economic Justice Debtor Assistance Project’s Supervising Attorney and bankruptcy paralegal.
The principal responsibilities will be to: provide counsel and advice at the bankruptcy self-help desk and consumer bankruptcy clinics, handle direct services cases, work and support the Supervising Attorney and the bankruptcy paralegal, work with the bankruptcy court and pro bono partners on access to justice issues, as well as train, work with, and supervise pro bono attorneys. The Staff Attorney will also undertake outreach efforts, prepare self-help and educational materials, network with other advocates, gather and collect data and assist in grant-reporting, and provide trainings and information to the public. Our work focuses both on issues within the State of California and nationally.
ESSENTIAL JOB SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Juris Doctor degree and admission to California Bar;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Spanish-language fluency strongly preferred;
- 3-5 years of post-law school experience as a bankruptcy attorney
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well as part of a team;
- Experience in policy advocacy or a willingness to engage in policy advocacy work at the local, state and national levels;
- Experience working with low-income, diverse ethnic groups, and non-English speaking clients;
- A commitment to economic, racial, and social justice and community lawyering.
START DATE AND COMPENSATION
- Salary is in the range $60,000-$68,700 per year, depending on years of experience.
- Immediate full-time, exempt position.
- Public Counsel offers a competitive benefits package including: (1) medical, dental, and vision coverage with both HMO and PPO options, (2) the option to enroll in a Flexible Spending Account, (3) a 403(b) retirement plan with elective contribution and an employer contribution after a year of employment, and (4) employer-paid life insurance and disability plans.
- Public Counsel follows all emergency state and local orders arising from the current COVID-19 crisis. Though generally this position is office-based, currently all staff must work remotely from their homes. Public Counsel will assess when the physical office will reopen in a manner consistent with public health and local and state emergency orders.
Continuous until position is filled.
We value lived experiences and experiences working with clients across a range of settings. Please consider discussing such experiences in your cover letter, especially if they are not reflected in your resume. Email a cover letter, resume, list of references and brief writing sample (in PDF format) to: email@example.com
Magdalena Reyes Bordeaux
Supervising Senior Staff Attorney
Consumer Rights & Economic Justice – Debtor Assistance Project
610 South Ardmore Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90005
Please include “DAP Bankruptcy Staff Attorney” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Public Counsel is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, gender identity or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
All qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.