POSITION: Attorney-Veterans Justice Center
LOCATION: Ron Olson Justice Center
SALARY: $65,000-$74,175/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Workgroup: The Veterans Justice Center advocates on behalf of Veterans to obtain life-sustaining income, health, and housing benefits; dismiss tickets and expunge convictions so Veterans can have a fresh start; upgrade unjust less-than-honorable military discharges; and prevent Veteran homelessness.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney.
- Excellent lawyering skills, such as client-centered interviewing and case evaluation, legal research and writing, discovery, negotiations, and trial practice in administrative, civil, and/or criminal courts;
- Knowledge of applicable laws and policies affecting the Veteran community;
- Ability to work on impact litigation & policy regarding Veteran issues;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income people and/or the Veteran community;
- Community lawyering experience; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Provide direct representation to Veterans and manage an independent caseload which includes interviewing clients, developing case plans, conducting discovery and research, & representation in administrative, civil, traffic or criminal courts;
- Draft pleadings, legal documents, trial memoranda, appellate briefs and community education materials;
- Place and supervise cases with pro bono attorneys and law students;
- Staff and supervise community clinics for Veterans who are homeless and/or very low-income;
- Coordinate community partnerships with government and social service organizations; and
- Work on litigation and/or public policy issues impacting low-income Veterans and their families.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney-Veterans Justice Center” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.