Attorney of Tenant Defense Project (TDP)
Inner City Law Center (ICLC) is a nonprofit law firm in Skid Row in Downtown Los Angeles. We are looking for extraordinary people to help us end homelessness in Los Angeles. Founded on the fundamental principle that every person should always be treated with dignity and respect, ICLC fights for justice for low-income tenants, working-poor families, people experiencing homelessness, people living with HIV/AIDS, people with disabilities, and homeless veterans.
Position Description: ICLC seeks a talented, full-time Supervising Attorney to join the leadership of the Tenant Defense Project (TDP) team. Our team is part of the groundbreaking Right to Counsel Coalition and Countywide Stay Housed initiative that brings together more than 20 legal service providers and community-based organizations to prevent homelessness by defending homes. Co-Directors, one overseeing legal matters and one administrative matters, lead the TDP team. This position reports to the legal Co-Director.
The Supervising Attorney has legal case management and supervisory responsibilities, and they may have a reduced caseload of eviction defense representation of vulnerable clients. In addition, the Supervising Attorney duties will include:
- Provide substantive legal supervision, support, and mentorship to a team of attorneys and fellows under the direction of the legal Co-Director;
- Supervise legal case management, including the maintenance of proper case files and record-keeping as assigned by the Co-Directors;
- Provide legal training and technical assistance to staff and partners as directed by the legal Co-Director;
- Represent the project in outside meetings with our funder and partner agencies as assigned by the legal Co-Director;
- Participate in community outreach events, including legal clinics, and develop relationships with partners in collaboration with the Co-Directors.
Hiring Criteria: Commitment to ICLC’s mission and values. A minimum of 5 years of experience in housing/eviction defense experience, including legal research, negotiation, law and motion practice, and trial work and legal services supervision. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Organized and detail oriented. Ability to assume responsibility quickly and independently manage varied responsibilities. Ability to use good judgment, multitask and meet deadlines. Ability to build trust and rapport with a wide range of clients in a kind, appropriate, and effective manner. Must demonstrate experience representing clients, and supervising and mentoring less experienced attorneys. Comfort and readiness to participate in a creative and aggressive litigation, including unlawful detainer trials. Membership in the California Bar or another State Bar required.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary ranges from $90,000 – $105,000 DOE. Excellent benefits.
How to Apply: Cover letters and resumes are reviewed upon receipt and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter detailing interest in the position directly at www.innercitylaw.org/join-our-team.