Attorney – Supporting Families Workgroup
LOCATION: Long Beach Office
SALARY: $58,800 to $62,034/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATIONDEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic
inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling
the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA
is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees,
including more than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact
healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of
their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and
domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in
impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners
to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the
underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Workgroup: The Supporting Families Workgroup (SFWG) helps and represents survivors of domestic violence and
sexual assault in obtaining restraining orders, and orders for custody, dissolution, visitation, and support. It also assists and
represents undocumented survivors of domestic violence, torture, human trafficking, and other serious abuse in removal
proceedings and before USCIS; and helps and represents individuals before USCIS to become U.S. Citizens.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney.
*NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of
ongoing funding or employment beyond December 2021.
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Fluency in Spanish preferred;
- Administrative experience in immigration matters before USCIS and EOIR;
- Litigation experience in immigration court preferred, detention experience a plus;
- Experience filing administrative immigration applications such as U Visa, VAWA, T Visa applications; experience
with VAWA Cancellation a plus.
- Manage a high volume caseload of VAWA/U Visa/T Visa removal cases for clients in detention/removal
- Ability to work well under pressure and collaboratively;
- Ability to deal with people tactfully and effectively;
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and
workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate; and
- Demonstrated commitment to serving immigrant communities and survivors of violence.
Attorney Supporting Families–July 2020
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Provide direct legal services in the form of VAWA/U Visa/T Visa applications and representation in removal
proceedings / to victims of domestic violence, torture and other serious crimes
- Travel regularly to Adelanto and other local detention facilities to conduct intake and meet with clients;
- Develop appropriate intake systems, participate in regular meetings with community members;
- Outreach to immigrant communities both in detention and in the community;
- Conduct trainings and outreach to community based organizations and community groups;
- Coordinate with other assistance organizations in the area by implementing partner meetings to assure appropriate
and efficient coverage of services; and
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteer attorneys and law students.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on
comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical,
dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and
403(b) retirement plan. Eligible employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and
a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney-Supporting
Families” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination
because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity,
transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran
status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally