POSITION: Attorney – Supporting Families Workgroup
LOCATION: Ron Olson Justice Center
SALARY: $65,000 to $84,646/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Supporting Families Workgroup (SFWG) helps and represents survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in obtaining restraining orders, and orders for custody, dissolution, visitation, and support. It also assists and represents undocumented survivors of domestic violence, torture, human trafficking, and other serious abuse in removal proceedings and before USCIS; and helps and represents individuals before USCIS to become U.S. Citizens.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney.
- Active member in the California State Bar;
- Litigation experience in State Court family law proceedings;
- Experience filing administrative immigration applications preferred;
- Demonstrated knowledge of domestic violence-related family and immigration law;
- Ability to work with people tactfully and effectively;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving immigrant communities and survivors of domestic violence;
- Ability to work well under pressure and collaboratively;
- Bilingual preferred; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Provide direct legal services to victims of domestic violence in both family law and affirmative immigration matters;
- Develop appropriate outreach materials and disseminate information about rights and benefits available to survivors of domestic violence in the areas of family law and immigration;
- Identify significant legal needs and issues for survivors of domestic violence in the area of family law and immigration and develop plans, including litigation and policy to address those needs;
- Outreach to communities where victims of domestic violence reside;
- Conduct domestic violence-related family law trainings to community- based organizations, community groups and related professionals;
- In conjunction with the Managing Attorney and the Pro Bono Director, recruit, train and supervise volunteer attorneys and law students; and
- Supervise domestic violence family law clinics at local courthouses one to two times per week.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Attorney – Supporting Families” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.