POSITION: ATTORNEY – Santa Monica Workgroup
LOCATION: Santa Monica Community Office
SALARY: $65,000-$77,513/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 170 employees, including more than 80 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Santa Monica Workgroup: LAFLA’s Santa Monica Workgroup is a community office assisting residents in the areas of housing, public benefits, and domestic violence and family advocacy. We often coordinate our advocacy with other non-profits, community-based organizations, and local government agencies to help our clients gain the best results through a holistic model of community advocacy. Each attorney is expected to maintain an appropriate caseload of various direct services, as well as participate in the myriad clinics provided by the workgroup.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney.
NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond March 2023.
- Active membership in the California State Bar, at least two years of experience preferred;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income persons;
- Interest in practicing in more than one area of law;
- Litigation experience preferred;
- Knowledge of one or more of the following areas: landlord-tenant, government benefits programs, and/or family law and domestic violence.
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally and effectively within a highly stressful environment;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Interest in learning new areas of law;
- Ability to work effectively with government agencies, staff, volunteers, students, attorneys, and community members;
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- This position will provide direct legal services in multiple substantive areas of law;
- Interview and counsel clients affected by problems facing low-income people, such as access to benefits, eviction cases, and domestic violence;
- Evaluate and potentially litigate issues on behalf of clients in any of the above areas;
- Participate in the twice weekly (while virtual) Santa Monica domestic violence clinic with pro bono attorney volunteers;
- Participate in other clinics and other community outreach projects;
- Other duties as assigned.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney – Santa Monica” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.