JOB OPPORTUNITY NOTICE
POSITION: Attorney – Santa Monica Workgroup
LOCATION: Santa Monica Community Office
SALARY: $56,000 to $73,189.76/annual DOE, excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Knowledge of at one of the following required: (i) family law, (ii) housing law, and/or (iii) government benefits;
- Prefer some trial experience;
- Knowledge of domestic violence is preferred but not required;
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally and effectively within a highly stressful environment;
- Ability to deal with people tactfully and effectively;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income persons;
- Ability to work effectively with government agencies, staff, volunteers, students, attorneys, and community members;
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate; and
- Bilingual in Spanish strongly preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Litigate eviction and housing cases, as well as domestic violence and related family law cases;
- Provide direct legal services to victims of domestic violence in family law, housing and/or government benefit matters;
- Staff and supervise evening housing law clinic at least two to three times per month;
- Supervise domestic violence legal clinic at Santa Monica courthouse;
- Interview and counsel clients affected by problems facing low income people;
- Conduct trainings and outreach to attorneys, government agencies, community based organizations and community groups;
- Coordinate with other Santa Monica organizations to ensure efficient coverage of services;
- In conjunction with the Managing Attorney, and the Pro Bono Director, recruit, train, and supervise volunteer attorneys and law students;
- Actively participate in community groups and coalitions on issues impacting service-eligible populations;
- Participate in intra-agency committees; and
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney –Santa Monica” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.