Under the direction of the Program Director, the Staff Attorney is responsible for coordinating and providing family law legal assistance, with a focus on serving domestic violence survivors. The SAFE Project focuses on assisting domestic violence survivors with family law matters, as well the indigent and limited-English proficient immigrant community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct legal services to low-income clients in a variety of family law cases, including domestic violence restraining orders, dissolution, paternity, child custody/visitation, child support, spousal support, and other related family law matters.
- Coordinate client services with legal interns, legal assistant/advocate, pro bono attorneys and partner social service agencies.
- Conduct community legal clinics.
- Coordinate and conduct education and outreach presentations at community forums and trainings
- Produce periodic progress reports to funders.
The omission of specific job duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Other duties as may be assigned and/or requested from other managers/executives from time to time.
Education and Experience
- J.D. and active membership in California State Bar required — PROVISIONAL LICENSEES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- 2 years of experience in family law preferred.
- Proven record of representing low-income clients strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Ability to work with diverse racial and ethnic groups.
- Availability to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends
- Bilingual ability in at least one Asian language strongly preferred and Access to reliable means of transportation.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Occasional travel may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or listen. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.