POSITION: Attorney- Pro Bono Project
LOCATION: Ron Olson Justice Center
SALARY: $59,080.00 to $69,375.18/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Minimum of three years’ experience in legal services, including broad experience in project management, client interviewing and advocacy, legal research, drafting and negotiation;
- Understanding of the pro bono “systems” in California (i.e., the manner in which private law attorneys are connected to low-income clients preferred);
- Enthusiasm for innovation and expansion of legal services;
- Excellent writing, analytical, organizational, communication and oral presentation skills; ability to advocate persuasively for the program’s mission;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive relations with diverse populations, meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail, and show initiative and manage time effectively;
- Ability to track, maintain and summarize data for reporting purposes;
- Computer literate; knowledgeable of Microsoft Office products such as Outlook, Word, Powerpoint;
- Willingness and ability to travel offsite; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and work weeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assess legal cases and projects with workgroup attorneys and Pro Bono Committee members for engagement with pro bono partners;
- Develop, coordinate, and support in-person and online pro bono substantive legal trainings with LAFLA staff and broader legal community;
- Create substantive legal guides and resources for projects;
- Work with Pro Bono Team to expand network of volunteers available to support pro bono opportunities;
- Oversee LAFLA remote legal video conference clinic and manage staff and volunteer signups;
- Help implement internal systems related to pro bono recruitment, case tracking, and reporting;
- Assist with various pro bono meetings, clinics, trainings, events, and other general needs.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “attorney-Pro Bono Project” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.