Our mission at the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County is to fight social injustice through civil legal advocacy for people living in poverty. We believe every person should have the basic necessities of life, including safe affordable housing, access to health care, economic security, secure immigration status, an appropriate education, and freedom from violence and abuse.
Legal Aid SMC seeks an attorney with a passion for social justice advocacy to join our Peninsula Family Advocacy Program (FAP). A medical-legal partnership with Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital/Stanford Children’s Health, Ravenswood Family Health Center, Gardner Packard Children’s Health Center, and San Mateo Medical Center Prenatal Clinics, FAP provides free legal services to children, pregnant women, and their families to help address the underlying causes of poor health. FAP helps children with disabilities and their families access appropriate special education resources, public benefits, health coverage, and health care.
Legal Aid SMC seeks candidates who share our aspirations for a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to protect the rights of older adults and adults with disabilities. We are committed to affirming differences in race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and expression.
- Represent children with disabilities, pregnant women, and their families in areas including access to health care, public benefits, and special education.
- Train partner agency staff on legal issues affecting children’s health. Provide technical assistance to partners.
- Pursue systemic advocacy efforts on issues affecting children with disabilities and their families.
- Active membership in the California State Bar
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law
- Excellent writing, public speaking, and communication skills
- Ability to cultivate collaborative relationships and work in multidisciplinary teams
- Experience in health care, public benefits, or special education law
- Experience working with diverse low-income communities
- Spanish proficiency
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $75,000+ per year DOE. Full-time exempt position.
Benefits: Excellent benefits including up to $3,600/year law school loan repayment assistance. $2,500 stipend for proficiency in Spanish or another language spoken by our client community.
Hybrid Workplace: Legal Aid SMC is a hybrid workplace. Employee work schedules and work locations are determined by a combination of factors including client needs, organizational needs, and the demand of their workload and personal preference. All employees are expected to be available to commute to the office as needed.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Michelle de Blank, Supervising Attorney, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Aid SMC is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, older adults, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged t