JOB OPPORTUNITY NOTICE
POSITION: Attorney-Medical Legal Partnership*
(2 available openings)
LOCATION: East Los Angeles or Long Beach Community Office
SALARY: $56,000-$69,374/annual DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
*NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond November/December 2022.
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Substantive knowledge of housing, family law, immigration law, or government benefits preferred;
- Ability to work effectively with hospital personnel, staff, volunteers, students, attorneys, and community members;
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally and effectively within a highly stressful environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Experience with diverse client population;
- Experience handling a variety of legal matters impacting poor and low income populations; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Work effectively with medical personnel and in a medical environment to address the social determinants of health;
- Provide individual client assistance, policy advocacy, and work closely with community organizations;
- Handle caseload, counsel and advise clients on their legal rights, conduct legal research and writing and represent clients in court;
- Coordinate and conduct community education and outreach at community forums, continuing legal education seminars, and medical clinics;
- Assume general administrative responsibilities including grant compliance, timekeeping and case management;
- Advocacy may include civil litigation, administrative hearings, policy in substantive legal areas, and/or other issues affecting poverty communities; and
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney-MLP” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.