POSITION: ATTORNEY – Homeless Prevention
LOCATION: Long Beach
SALARY: $56,000 to $ 62,329/annual DOE, excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for an Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Prefer experience working in diverse poverty law issues;
- Some knowledge of, landlord-tenant law, government benefits, or criminal expungement is preferred;
- Ability to work effectively with a large caseload;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income and homeless individuals;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team including other attorneys, support staff, volunteers, and
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally and effectively within a highly stressful environment;
- Ability to work effectively with staff members from outside community based organizations, government agencies, and homeless service providers;
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills;
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as necessitated by job duties to meet professional duties to clients; and
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Interview and counsel clients on various legal issues;
- Work collaboratively with case managers to provide holistic services;
- Represent tenants facing eviction in court;
- Assist clients with government benefits applications and appeals;
- Able to visit clients at various locations;
- Participate in clinics and other community outreach projects;
- Work on policy issues relating to homelessness and holistic services;
- Represent subsidized housing clients at administrative hearings;
- Learn legal areas such as expungement of criminal records, debt relief and restoration of license to remove clients’ legal barriers to housing and benefits; and
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney-Homeless Prevention” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
*NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds: there is no assurance of ongoing funding or employment beyond the period for which the funds are obtained.