POSITION: Attorney – Family Law Workgroup
SALARY: $84,740.37k to $92,538.60k/annual DOE, excellent benefits
APPLICATIONDEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic inequities among the most vulnerable members of the greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA and our flexible hybrid work environment is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 180 employees, including more than 90 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice, identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Family Law Workgroup assists survivors of domestic violence with restraining order cases and other family law relief in connection with divorce, paternity, and custody and support matters. Assistance is provided through court-based domestic violence clinics, a domestic violence hotline, and a virtual family law clinic.
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney – Family Law Workgroup.
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Extensive litigation experience in family law proceedings;
- Knowledge of and involvement in State and/or National-level issues and activities affecting low-income individuals in the area of family law;
- Leadership or extensive participation in a taskforce or commission at the local, state or national level;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving immigrant communities and survivors of domestic violence;
- Experience working under, and/or managing grants preferred;
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as necessitated by job duties to meet professional duties to clients; and
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Provide direct legal services to victims of domestic violence in family law matters;
- Identify significant legal needs and issues for domestic violence survivors in the area of family law and engage in impact litigation and policy to address those needs;
- Be an expert and leader within LAFLA and outside LAFLA in the area of family
- Conduct domestic violence and family law training to community based organizations, community groups and at national trainings;
Family Law Attorney – April 2022
- Help oversee grant deliverables and work with staff to ensure
- In conjunction with the Managing Attorney and the Pro Bono Director, recruit, train, and supervise volunteer attorneys and law students.
- Supervises domestic violence legal clinics at local courthouses four times a month; and
- Develop appropriate outreach materials and disseminate information about rights and benefits available to domestic violence survivors in the area of family law.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan. Employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney – Family Law” in the subject line.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD – A one-year introductory period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.
The company is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. If you require reasonable accommodation as part of the application process or expect to require an accommodation if hired, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
VACCINATION POLICY AND COVID-19 PROTOCOLS – LAFLA requires all staff, including new hires, to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) and have received at least one COVID-19 booster shot. If hired, all employees must present proof of vaccination by their start date.