Position: Attorney-Family Law
Summary: The Attorney will provide legal representation to low-income survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking. This position will primarily provide representation to survivors in restraining and custody order hearings, as well as other civil legal matters as needed, and is ideal for an attorney with prior family law or comparable civil litigation experience.
About the Organization: Located in East Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) is an emerging leader in the provision of legal services to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking. The 30-person nonprofit law firm assists clients in obtaining restraining and custody orders, immigration relief and other legal remedies available to them as a result of surviving domestic violence, sexual assault or human trafficking. LACLJ also provides clients with wraparound supportive services, which include education, referrals, safety planning, and accompaniment through its Community Care Advocacy Program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Case Assessment and Strategy Development
- Conduct holistic initial interviews to assess cases for services
- Conduct investigation and research to assess claims
- Recommend level of service and develops case strategy
- Represent survivors in restraining and custody order hearings, as well as other civil legal matters as needed
- Draft legal documents, conducts discovery, and case management
- Provide oral advocacy and negotiation in hearings and trials
- Connect clients to non-legal supportive services as needed
- Ensure timely and accurate case file maintenance, including electronic records
- Maintain good working relationship with clients through frequent, proactive communication
- Meet case deadlines and calendar court events and client visits
- Effectively delegate tasks to designated staff, and review all work for accuracy and completion
- Deliver community outreach presentations
- Collect and reports case-related data
- Complete grant-required forms
Other Duties: Adhere to standards of professional responsibility; Adhere to all LACLJ policies and procedures, including the standards set forth in the Performance and Evaluation Standards; Participate in mandatory staff trainings and meetings; Other duties as assigned.
- D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Membership in good standing in the California Bar
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- 2 years of family law or litigation experience
- Previous experience working with domestic violence or sexual assault survivors
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people
- Ability to work successfully with people from diverse backgrounds
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work will be performed in an office setting at a work
- This position requires concentration on tasks while facing
- This position requires attendance at meetings, both in and outside the LACLJ
- Use of office machines such as computers, photocopiers, and
- Ability to work at and travel between the LACLJ main office at 5301 Whittier in East Los Angeles and other locations such as various Los Angeles Superior Court locations and DPSS offices.
Salary and Benefits: Salary ranges from $54,000 to $65,000 per year depending on experience. LACLJ offers full-time staff a generous benefits package and paid vacation leave including 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser), dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance and the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Marilyn Florentino, Office Administrator, via email to email@example.com with the position title in the subject header. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, disability, or sexual orientation.