Attorney –Economic Stability Workgroup
POSITION: Attorney –Economic Stability Workgroup (Employment Barrier Removal Project)*
LOCATION: East Los Angeles Community Office
SALARY: $58,800-$72,842/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
Are you interested in joining an organization dedicated to increasing access to justice while addressing systemic
inequities among the most vulnerable members of the Greater Los Angeles area? If yes, LAFLA is the place for you!
The Organization: LAFLA is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved—leveling the
playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. With more than 90 years of service, LAFLA is the
first and most experienced legal aid organization in Greater Los Angeles. LAFLA has more than 150 employees, including more
than 70 attorneys, who provide free services and resources on a broad range of civil legal issues that impact healthy, safety, and
self-sufficiency. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people find their voice, regain control of their lives, and build a
brighter future. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics
puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA also engages in impact litigation to help enact
long-term systemic change—actively collaborating with a network of public and private partners to expand access to justice,
identify needs in the communities we serve, and change laws and policies that adversely affect the underserved. For more
information, please visit www.lafla.org
The Workgroup: The Economic Stability Workgroup (ESWG) helps people obtain benefits to fulfill basic needs (food,
shelter, medical care, and services to attain self-sufficiency); fights wage theft and denial of unemployment insurance benefits; and
advises on wrongful terminations and discriminatory employment practices. ESWG also helps people who cannot afford to repay
their student loans due to disability or who have attended for-profit colleges that engaged in predatory, deceptive, or illegal
LAFLA is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney.
*NOTE – This position is part of a special program created using designated funds. There is no assurance of
ongoing funding or employment beyond September 2021.
- Active membership in the California State Bar with a minimum of one to two years’ experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income people;
- Experience in providing re-entry legal services such as criminal record clearing, post-conviction sentence reduction,
driver’s license reinstatement, citation defense;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal, organizational and negotiation skills and the ability to
work as a team member;
- Previous public interest experience preferred; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and
workweeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Conduct extensive interviews with potential or retained clients with criminal justice involvement;
- Provide direct representation to remove barriers to employment. Legal issues will include drivers’ license reinstatement,
sentence reduction, and eligible criminal record expungement;
- Manage an independent caseload which includes developing case plans, conducting discovery, legal research, and
representation in administrative, traffic or civil courts;
- Work collaboratively with employment specialists from partner employment agency to screen potential clients; and
Attorney – ESWG Employment Barrier Removal Project July 2020
- Do outreach to and collaborate with organizations serving unemployed and underemployed individuals, including employment training centers and other employment organizations to facilitate the creation and sustainment of a network of partners capable of providing supplemental employment services to clients.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION – LAFLA offers a diverse environment with competitive compensation based on
comparable public interest salaries. We also offer a generous benefits package for full-time employees including medical,
dental, and vision for employees and dependents, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, and
403(b) retirement plan. Eligible employees may also qualify for bilingual supplements, law student loan reimbursements, and
a cell phone stipend.
HOW TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Attorney- ESWG
Employment Barrier Removal Project” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination
because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity,
transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran
status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally