POSITION: ATTORNEY – Economic Stability Work Group
LOCATION: East Los Angeles Community Office
SALARY: $56,000 to $77,215.20/Annual DOE, excellent benefits
AVAILABILITY: January 2020
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for people living in poverty across Greater Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
Economic Stability Work Group: provides services in employment, consumer and government benefits law to families and individuals who are struggling to stay on their feet financially. The ESWG represents destitute families with children, abused and/or neglected children, the disabled or elderly individuals in order to gain or maintain basic subsistence benefits or services they need. The ESWG assists workers in getting pay they are entitled to and to remove barriers to employment. The ESWG also provides services to consumers around debt issues, particularly student loans for those who become disabled or were victims of unscrupulous career or vocational school loan fraud.
- Active membership in the California State Bar with one to two years experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income people;
- Litigation experience, including case evaluation, legal research and writing, discovery, negotiations, and administrative hearing or trial experience preferred;
- Familiarity with government benefits programs such as CalWORKs, CalFresh, Medi-Cal, General Relief, Supplemental Security Income, In-Home Supportive Services, Foster Care, Wage Claims and UIB;
- Previous public interest experience preferred; and
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and workweeks commonly in excess of 35 hours.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Provide direct representation to individuals at government benefit and employment hearings;
- Maintain caseload including work on affirmative cases;
- Participate in major policy and other administrative advocacy work;
- Participate in and support LAFLA and other legal services task forces;
- Assist in the development and implementation of creative, alternate legal strategies on behalf of low-income clients; and
- Regularly assist with client intake.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to email@example.com. Include “Attorney-Economic Stability” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.