JOB OPPORTUNITY NOTICE
POSITION: Attorney – Asian & Pacific Islander (API) Community Outreach
LOCATION: Long Beach
SALARY: $56,000-$69,374/DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled.
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Attorney. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
- Active membership in the California State Bar;
- Litigation experience in State or Federal Court;
- Experience in matters before USCIS, EOIR or other administrative bodies;
- Demonstrated knowledge of family law, immigration and/or other poverty law preferred;
- Ability to deal with people tactfully and effectively;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving Asian & Pacific Islander (API) immigrant communities;
- Willingness to work beyond a minimum 7.0 hour workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events, and work weeks in excess of 35 hours when caseload or other obligations so necessitate; and
- Bilingual in Khmer, Hindi, or other Asian language strongly preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Maintains an open caseload primarily in the areas of family law, immigration, and other poverty law issues;
- Organizes and coordinates community education and outreach activities regarding LAFLA services to API communities in the greater Los Angeles area;
- Recruit, train, and mentor pro bono attorneys, law students, and other volunteers;
- Identifies significant legal needs and issues facing API immigrant communities and develops plans, including litigation and policy advocacy, to address those needs and issues; and
- Supervises intake conducted through API language lines and at legal clinics at various locations, including courthouses and community-based organizations.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Attorney – API” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A one-year probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.