Office of Clients’ Right Advocacy (OCRA)
Oakland (Regional Center of East Bay), eligible for hybrid office-remote
*This position is bilingual in Spanish/English*
Individuals who are Deaf or Disabled are encouraged to apply.
SALARY RANGE (Depending on Experience): $21.67 – $31.72 hr /$42,252 – $61,865 annually
We base salary and position offers on experience and an internal equity analysis.
EXCELLENT BENEFITS including 8% 401k Match
WHO WE ARE
Disability Rights California (DRC) is a statewide, non-profit legal organization dedicated to advancing the rights of Californians with disabilities to live with autonomy, dignity, and respect in a barrier-free, inclusive, and diverse world that values each individual and their voice.
OFFICE OF CLIENTS’ RIGHTS ADVOCACY
DRC has a contract with the Department of Developmental Services (DDS), State of California, to provide Clients’ Rights Advocacy services for clients of each of the 21 regional centers located statewide. That contract funds the Assistant Clients’ Rights Advocate (ACRA) position. We are a team of zealous advocates and disability generalists who are building a culture of teamwork and working for a world where all disabled people have power, are treated with dignity and respect, and make their own decisions.
The ACRA assists and advocates for people with developmental disabilities who are regional center clients, including people who reside in state developmental centers and community facilities. The ACRA is primarily responsible for clerical and administrative support for the office, which provides information, advice, and representation on a wide range of legal topics impacting people who receive regional center services. Examples are special education, Social Security, IHSS, healthcare and insurance, and living in the community.
The ACRA works under the direct supervision of a clients’ rights advocate and in collaboration with other OCRA advocates and attorneys in their advocacy and outreach efforts.
This position is in a location convenient to the regional center and is eligible for a hybrid schedule working both remotely and in-office.
High speed connection is required to work for us
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); plus 1 – 2 years related experience or training.
- Able to communicate fluently and write effectively in Spanish, including the ability to interpret and translate.
- Associate degree in a related field from a two-year college or technical school, OR Bachelor’s degree in a related field from a four-year college or university, OR equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Knowledge of statewide resources available to people with developmental disabilities.
- Experience reviewing medical or educational records.
- Contacts with disability organizations and/or within disability communities.
- Experience with or extensive contacts in ethnic or language distinct communities.
- Experience providing training to a diverse range of people.
- Life experience as a person with a disability or direct experience as a caregiver of a person with a disability.
- Proficiency with Windows-based computer applications including Microsoft Office and case management software.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively with a variety of organizations and individuals with diverse perspectives, including people with disabilities, administrators, advocacy groups, and the public, and to maintain confidentiality in all matters.
Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization. Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options. Can write clear, detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to his/her field of interest, synthesizing, and evaluating information and arguments.
Working at DRC is more than just a job – it is a rare opportunity to do what you are good at while making a difference! DRC offers competitive salaries and a generous benefit package. To view the detailed job description and complete the application process here.