JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: ADVOCATE AND INTAKE COORDINATOR, IMMIGRATION
Office Location: San Francisco, with periodic travel to our other offices, especially East Palo Alto
Applications due on October 1; early applications are encouraged
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto (CLSEPA) is a non-profit legal services agency. We provide transformative legal services that enable diverse communities in East Palo Alto and beyond to achieve a secure and thriving future. CLSEPA specializes in housing, immigration, employment, re-entry and consumer law and combines policy, advocacy and impact litigation with direct legal services. More information about CLSEPA is available at www.clsepa.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
CLSEPA seeks a full-time Immigration Advocate / Intake Coordinator. The Immigration Advocate / Intake Coordinator has a key role in coordination of our immigration consultation clinic and provides administrative support to attorneys including filling out basic and complex immigration forms, meeting with clients to gather necessary information, performing written translations and oral interpretation, and assisting in assembling legal filings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (may be subject to change as the organizational needs and requirements of the job change)
- Key role in coordination of our twice-monthly immigration consultation clinic (being held telephonically during the COVID-19 pandemic, but otherwise held in-person at our East Palo Alto office)
- Assist in ensuring intake and screening for new potential clients, scheduling consultations, and providing referral information.
- Provide administrative support to CLSEPA attorneys, including case follow-up, file/database maintenance, Spanish-language interpretation, drafting letters and documents, copying and scanning, logging mail, calling clients and scheduling meetings, and other tasks as needed.
- Fill out basic and complex immigration forms for clients.
- Assist with and participate in community outreach events, local and national advocacy networks, and legal workshops and clinics.
- Conduct any client or administrative follow-up needed after the clinics or workshops.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (Required)
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- A collaborative and proactive communication style
- Excellent attention to detail
- Fluency in Spanish
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong listening, comprehension, and critical thinking skills
- Able to summarize information accurately and identify potential legal issues
- Ability to think proactively and to take initiative and ownership of assigned tasks
- Commitment to serving low-income and under-served communities
- Ability to empathize and communicate with a broad range of clients and colleagues
- Values working cooperatively, both within the organization and in the community
- Displays enthusiasm and willingness to accept responsibility and fulfill job requirements
- Ability and willingness to follow team procedures, including recordkeeping requirements
- Familiarity with use of Gmail, Google Calendar, Dropbox, Microsoft Word, and Zoom preferred
SALARY: $49,500 (prorated) or higher depending on experience. Benefits include generous paid leave, medical, vision and dental insurance, life and disability insurance. CLSEPA also offers a flexible spending plan for qualified health, retirement, and child care expenditures.
TO APPLY: Please send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and list of three references via email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Immigration Advocate” in the subject heading or send documents to Human Resources, Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto, 1861 Bay Rd., East Palo Alto CA 94303 or. No calls please.
In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered. CLSEPA’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are low income persons of color. It is critical that our staff work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community, and that we create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
CLSEPA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees/applicants in all of our employment practices without regard to race, religion, color, sex or gender (including gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, pregnancy- and childbirth-related medical conditions), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, uniform-service member/veteran status, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, taking/requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.