Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT LEGAL SERVICES FOR CHILDREN
Founded in 1975, Legal Services for Children (“LSC”) is one of the country’s first non-profit law firms dedicated to providing free legal representation and social work services to children. Our mission is to ensure that all children in the San Francisco Bay Area are raised in a safe environment with equal access to a meaningful education and other services that are necessary to thrive and grow. We believe that youth deserve positive alternatives to unnecessary placement in foster care, juvenile justice facilities, and immigration detention. LSC pioneered the interdisciplinary approach that is considered a best practice in juvenile law today. We deploy attorney-social worker teams to assist Bay Area children who need to access the legal system to stabilize or improve their lives. LSC’s attorneys represent children in legal matters that involve guardianship, dependency, school discipline, immigration, and other civil legal matters. Our social workers provide crisis intervention, case management, counseling, and psychosocial assessments. LSC staff also engage in policy and advocacy projects aimed at advancing the rights of children.
To promote social justice and best serve our clients, LSC is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing services with cultural humility. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and ensuring a workplace where staff can flourish and grow professionally, and well beyond. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups including People of Color and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Bilingual/bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position provides the first point of contact for clients at Legal Services for Children, both in person and by telephone. It requires someone who is friendly and welcoming and who treats visitors with care and respect. Under the supervision of the Office Manager, this key position performs a variety of clerical duties and provides administrative support to the entire organization.
Please note that due to COVID19, some employees at Legal Services for Children (LSC) are working remotely, with options and expectations to come into the office when necessary. LSC is currently working on a gradual return to the office plan. This position would be required to be in the office 2-3 days a week over the summer and full-time starting September 1, 2021.
This position is in a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 20.
- Process incoming and outgoing mail
- Scan legal mail and documents
- Manage phone calls and greet visitors
- Maintain common areas stocked and tidy
- Manage case files: closing, scanning and shredding
- Process bank deposits and manage petty cash
- Coordinate and process quarterly Probate billing
- Assist with the preparation of filings and file at various courthouses
- Support clients with getting photos or other documents
- Maintain LSC’s website and social media presence via Instagram
- Respond to request for outreach and info about LSC
- Assist with scheduling trainings
- Other administrative tasks as needed and assigned by the Office Manager
- Bachelor or Associate’s degree and/or prior full-time Admin experience
- Previous clerical experience, including answering multi-line phones
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Detail-oriented and excellent time management skills
- Ability to be self-motivated, think strategically and manage multiple tasks
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with databases
- Conversational Spanish, but Spanish fluency is strongly preferred
Salary & Benefits:
Starting salary is $51,000. Benefits include fully paid health insurance for employees and partially paid for child dependents (medical, dental and vision), retirement contribution, as well as pre-tax on qualifying FSA and transit expenses. LSC’s dedicated staff team enjoys generous paid leave (vacation, sick, holiday, and sabbatical).
Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to email@example.com with “Administrative Coordinator” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following in order for your application to be considered:
LSC’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are low income youth of color. To ensure that our agency is best serving these children, LSC strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.