Organization: Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) ensures fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of our community. From Silicon Valley to Napa Valley, we help clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. Our clients include the working poor, families with children, foster youth, seniors, immigrants, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Through our regional county offices, our mobile advocacy clinics, and our nationally-recognized Legal Advice Line, BayLegal prevents domestic violence and sexual assault, increases economic stability, protects consumers, expands access to healthcare, and prevents homelessness. For our clients, BayLegal makes the difference between staying in poverty and thriving toward a brighter future.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Support processing of accounts payables and coding of invoices.
- Assist with payroll processing and payroll tax filings.
- Assist with accounts receivable payment processing, monitor A/R aging.
- Maintain grants folder.
- Analyze Balance Sheet accounts and account balances.
- Prepare journal entries as needed and enter into accounting system.
- Support benefits administration and payment reconciliation.
- Provide support for month-end closing and analysis.
- Maintain employee folders, file PAN forms and other documents.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance.
- One to two years general ledger accounting experience is required.
- Strong technical accounting background.
- Strong Excel and database skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Team player and also ability to work independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively at all levels.
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. BayLegal has an excellent benefits package which includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and 40-50% for dependents; long term disability insurance; stipends for bilingual employees; student debt repayment program; dependent childcare employer contribution program, and a 401k retirement plan following first year. Generous paid leave policy includes: sick leave; parental leave; 14 holidays each year and vacation (starting at 13 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
Applications: Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) references to: Human Resources Department, e-mail to email@example.com. Please reference “Accountant” in your email subject.
As part of your cover letter, please address the following:
BayLegal’s clients are low- and very low-income members of our communities. They include persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, working poor, seniors, veterans, people with disabilities and persons from other underrepresented groups. To ensure our organization is best serving these populations, BayLegal strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with the community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued.
How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to serve our client base effectively and to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility, inclusion and diversity? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.