POSITION: PARALEGAL/SR. PARALEGAL – Asian Pacific Islander (API) Community Outreach Project
LOCATION: Long Beach Community Office
SALARY: $32,280.39 to $$60,196.06/ DOE with excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Continuous until position is filled
The Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people in Los Angeles and is currently accepting applications for the position of Paralegal. LAFLA seeks to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct representation, systems change, and community education.
The Organization: LAFLA (www.LAFLA.org) is a nonprofit law firm that protects and advances the rights of the most underserved – leveling the playing field and ensuring that everyone can have access to the justice system. Every year, LAFLA helps more than 100,000 people in civil legal matters by providing direct legal representation and other legal assistance for low-income people across the Greater Los Angeles region. Our unique combination of neighborhood offices, self-help centers at courthouses, and domestic violence clinics puts LAFLA on the frontlines in communities at the forefront of change. LAFLA has over 100 employees with over 70 attorneys. LAFLA operates five neighborhood offices and several off-site locations. For more information, please visit www.lafla.org
- A four (4) year degree or Paralegal Certificate;
- One (1) year relevant work experience preferred;
- Ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers, students, attorneys, and community members;
- Experience conducting outreach to community based organizations and immigrant communities;
- Knowledge of various areas of law such as housing, immigration law, family law and/or government benefits;
- Self-motivated, takes initiative, ability to learn quickly;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Organized, with ability to work on high-volume caseload;
- Comfortable with case management systems and other technology;
- Ability to travel to clinic location(s); and
- Bilingual in Khmer preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assist with client screening and intake;
- Conduct and prepare legal research, writings, and memoranda as assigned;
- Assist with developing educational materials and coordinating community outreach activities;
- Interview and counsel clients;
- Provide direct legal services in conjunction with API attorney(s) in cases that involve immigration, family, housing, and/or government benefits;
- Participate in clinics and other community outreach projects;
- Establish/nurture relationships with and conduct coordinated outreach to local businesses, community-based organizations, religious institutions, community groups, and law enforcement agencies; and
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY -Please submit a cover letter and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Paralegal–API” in the subject line.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD – A nine-month probationary period will be required.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital or registered domestic partners status, or any other legally protected status.