Mission Statement and Vision
The Legal Aid Association of California (LAAC), the statewide membership organization of legal services nonprofits, serves and strengthens its members through advocacy, training, and support in their efforts to provide critical legal assistance to low-income Californians and ensure equal access to justice.
- LAAC is the “go-to” resource on the statewide legal services delivery system, with substantial name recognition in the legal services and larger legal community.
- Advocacy: LAAC is the expert for the legislature on all legal services issues, and LAAC’s work results in dramatically expanded funding and other resources available to IOLTA programs.
- Knowledge Management: LAAC fully leverages the knowledge and resources within the IOLTA network, including serving as a primary coordinator of trainings for the system. LAAC works to design the statewide curriculum by coordinating with member organizations to ensure an institutionalized, annual schedule of in-person and online trainings in legal services substantive areas, skills-based issues, and trainings on how to lead trainings, or “train the trainers” sessions.
- Member Benefits: LAAC offers access to a rich and diverse set of member benefits that meet the needs of member organizations.
- All IOLTA-funded programs and staff identify LAAC as the statewide voice on legal services issues and as their professional association, resulting in 100% of IOLTA programs and hundreds of staff at IOLTA nonprofits joining LAAC each year.
- LAAC benefits from a diversified, proactive fund development plan that provides sustainable support for LAAC programs, infrastructure needs, and staff positions, including salaries and benefits that are competitive on the nonprofit scale.